1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R G B Question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AV nutter, Dec 8, 2003.

1. AV nutter

AV nutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I whant a rgb cable that will come out 3phono then go to 5 bnc can this be done thanks in advance.mike

2. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    why? are you talking about moving the H and V sync to separate lines, if so you will need more than just a cable

3. hencole

hencole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you mean an RGB SCART cable to 5BNC (red, green, blue, H sync, V sync)? If so yes you can get them.

4. AV nutter

AV nutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys sorry i havt explained myself properly so hear gose i hope would like to run arcam diva 88 dvd and sony 850 200dvd changer and sky and also ps2 and a vidio all in rgb scart into keene electronic1000 scart switcher then scart out to 3 phono into amp out of the amp 3 phono to 5bnc to pj as it is oldi think needs the 5 inputs to use rgb hope that this makes things a little clearer what i would like to do thank you in advance .mike

5. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi,

The easiest thing to do is to buy phono to bnc adapters from Maplins and connect 3 (video) cables (phono to phono) to three of the (r, g and b) bnc inputs. However, the connection that you describe will ONLY handle rgb with the sync signal on the green (written as RGsB) and it's probable that this won't work for all of your sources.
    (The phono connections on your amp are really there for switching component video (which your projector can't handle) which comes on three cables. The red, green and blue connections on your amp are probably marked for Y,Pb and Pr and NOT for rgb. Since component video and rgb are similar forms of video, the connections on your amp are capable of handling RGsB as well but some of your sources will probably not be RGsB.

RGB comes in several "flavours" such as RGBHV where the horizontal and vertical sync signals are separate and RGBS where they are combined together. The sync on some of your devices may be of the RGBS type where they sync is derived from the composite video signal on the scart.

If your projector has 5 bnc inputs, it's possible (likely) that it will also be able to handle rgb and sync (rgbs) on 4 of the bncs. You'll need a rgb scart to 4 bnc adapter as the sync is derived from the composite video signal. However, it may be the case that the sync signal from your scart sources isn't quite strong enough for the projector to lock onto. You'll then need something like the Keene syncblaster or the rgb to vga unit from John Sims (rgbtosvideo).

Brian

6. AV nutter

AV nutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some lesson will call back in a fotrtnight with homework.mike

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I think you might be better with the JS unit (the extra electronics I was talking about). Are you happy feeding the interlaced signal to your projector?

Brian has covered everything else in his fine lesson :)

8. AV nutter

AV nutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think i stick around for my diploma and anything else i can use.mike

9. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Mike,

Hold on before you go and spend lots of money. There are a couple of things you must be aware of. Some of these points have been covered or hinted at by earlier posters but just for clarification

1) Your projector has 5 BNC connectors, however one of those is for composite video. To get the best possible picture from your projector you need 4 cables R,G,B and composite sync.

2) Your projector is video only so can only handle an interlaced signal, therefore you will not be able to use the progressive scan feature of an advanced DVD player like the Arcam. The best you can do is to set the scart output to RGB. Or get R,G,B, composite sync by some other method.

3) The component outs from your AV amp are not compatible with your projector so you will not be able to route RGB video signals via your AV amp.

I suggest you do all your RGB routing via a Keene switch box or a quattro. The tricky bit is getting the rgb scart output connected to your projector. You can do this by getting a Keene sync blaster cable to connect from the scart switcher to the projector.

If you are feeling brave you can make a cable yourself. If you get RGB scart pinouts you can easily create the R,G,B to BNC wires required. The trick with the fourth cable is to use the composite video signal from the scart to connect to your Sync on the projector. The signal from this pin will not be strong enough give you a stable sync at the projector end so you need to build a small amplifier to boost the signal. To be honest I only went this route because at the time I needed to do this no cheap commercial system was available. By the time you buy all the parts and some high quality 75 ohm cable the Keene sync blaster cable looks like an attractive buy.

whatever you decide to do, good luck !

here endeth the lesson.

cheers

Alan

10. AV nutter

AV nutter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Feeling brave i have already burnt 7 scarts that you can make up your self hell enought bravier for me time to buy one.Also the pj has 1comp plus 5 bnc just counted them so need lesson 3.mike PS using kneene electronic holdan hrs1000 scart switcher present from somone .OH for a bigger hammer.

11. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Mike,

Your Sony has a slightly different spec from the one I used to have.

My advice is to buy the Keene syncblaster cable with 5 BNC's. Its a lot less hassle and it will work first time !

Alan

12. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh for a friend like that.