Question R/F & WIFI Smart Thermostat

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by waring192, Jun 1, 2017.

1. waring192

waring192

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Quick question:

NFU have kindly given us £20K for a new boiler and bathrooms etc in part of the house due to water damage.

At the moment the thermostat is near the front door and its a old house and always cold in there. I would like the thermostat to be in one of the main sitting rooms where my grandma sits during the day so what I'm looking for is a way of me being able to check on the temp on my iPhone if I'm out and about (grandma and myself are the last in the family as my mother recently passed away).

Id like the thermostat to be user friendly for her (just up and down in temp) and me to be able to check the temp etc on my phone. The problem is that it needs to have a connection (wireless, RF or Wifi. Sort of like a repeater) to where the existing one is. Hopefully that makes sense?

Cheers

2. stuart07970

stuart07970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Nest should do fine
    It doesn't matter where the old one was
    Just needs USB power and wifi
    Put it wherever you like
    Sorry for brief answer but I'm sleepy!

3. waring192

waring192

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Cheers. I have found the nest stand which would plug into USB but cannot find anything on the website regarding the base station part which communicates with the Nest thermostat?

4. waring192

waring192

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Just did some googling and the European version comes with a base station bit so all good.

Looks quite easy for my grandma to use also if I can lock it down to just heat up and down if she wants it warmer or colder by just turning the dial so she doesn't go into menus etc?

5. stuart07970

stuart07970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    Just remember that with all of these stats you need to set the the temperature you want and not whack it up or down like an on/off switch

6. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +641
    Another alternative would be an Honeywell Evo Touch Connected Thermostat pack (plus Hot Water kit if you need hot water control) with Y87RF room sensor (round unit that rotates in a similar way to sanest for temperature asdjustment).

This means you can keep the main controller out of sight if Grandma and just have the room stat accessible for heating setpoint adjustment. It can also have max/min setpoint range fixed to prevent being turned up or down too far.

The Y87RF is battery powered and links by RF to Evo so no need for any additional wiring. It will be more expensive than Nest though.

7. waring192

waring192

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Im aware of that. Id set up a routine but if needs be I'm hoping you can override it depending on current inside temp?

Cheers, will take a look at that one also and report back. Sounds interesting though.

8. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,221
    I would hope that in this day & age the functionality you require can be built into the boiler rather than adding something like Nest or Hive.

9. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +641
    How can it be built into the boiler? You still need to measure the temperature out in the space you want to control - if you don't measure the room temperature then you cannot control it. These "smart" systems include a boiler control (either switched or bus-based using opentherm). Any boiler manufacturer that "builds in" these devices has simply bolted on the "receiver" to use with a remote room stat/programmer, so why would it be any different to using an external system (that often adds much improv d room-side control)?

For example, Honeywell Evo Touch allows room by room zone control of just about any kind of room heating, wether it be radiators, underfloor heating, fan convectors etc, plus demand-driven control of the heat source (is boiler, heat pump, district heating heat-interface unit) etc. Don't see any boiler manufacturer offering anything with the same level of flexibility or zone control.

10. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,221
    Clearly the thermostat would need to be separate, I thought that would go without saying. Building the receiver into the boiler would potentially save the rats nest of external wiring. I've seen old boilers with programmers built in, so seems logical that WiFi versions can be also.

The OP doesn't need to control multiple zones & as you said yourself, the Honeywell system is more expensive than Nest or Hive.

11. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +641
    Depending on the heating system - S-Plan (or Plus), Y-Plan, W-Plan etc, so still potential for plenty of additional wiring and an external heating wiring centre to contend with. Having seen most boiler manufacturers attempts at controls it's not something I'd recommend (they have usually bought in someone else's controls, and generally the most basic package without any smart aspects).

Also remember that most boilers have a metal case that does not help RF controls achieve a decent range or reliability of signal.

12. waring192

waring192

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Just noticed that the Nest doesn't work with HomeKit which is a tad annoying. No a deal breaker but would of been nice.