1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QVC and the Humax presentation

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Faust, May 1, 2004.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    My wife had QVC on today, and my ears pricked up when I heard this guy introducing a Humax DVD +RW recorder - all £349 pounds worth, phew....... Anyway to get the point of my post - rarely if ever have I seen a more biased one sided presentation of mis-information in my life. The guy starts by telling viewers that there are three formats, but that the Ram format is all but dead and will not survive, as the only way you can play the discs is in another Ram compatible machine, however, there aren't any about. He keeps telling the viewers that this format is the one to go for as it works exactly like a VCR, so it will all be very familiar to anyone who owns a VCR. Well golly gee! isn't it about time we moved on from VCR type technology. During his entire piece to camera, not once did he give a demonstration of how the machine worked or what its capabilities were. He also failed to mention the superior functionality of a Ram or -RW recorder - I tell you I was spitting feathers by the end. This sort of presentation really isn't on, it seeks to deceive the viewer through lying by omission, and at £349 who's he kidding. Sadly, he did such a good job that they were literally flying off the shelves by the end of the programme. Why are the general public so ill informed? is it just laziness on their part?? I really do despair at times.

:mad:

2. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,268
    :laugh: You mean you managed to actually stay awake to listen to that guys nonsence :laugh: My advise, get rid of QVC through your favourites, it's the only way! :smashin:

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah but it's the best comedy channel on freeview!!!

4. hammy

hammy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It was the same a few weeks ago, they were selling a Mustek DVD Recorder (if i remeber correctly). Had to laugh at the so called expert though, he was demonsrating how to record to a +RW disc when he pressed the wrong button and couldn't get the machine to work :oops: :laugh: , no matter what he tried he couldn't get it going again. Lucky for him they had another machine wired up ready. He was also treating the discs like frisbies which i though was giving the viewers the wrong ideas about how robust these discs are.

He reminded me of the salkes guy in comet, who tried to put me off buying an E50 for my work, i asked him if they had it in stock, he said yes, then proceeded to explain that anything that is recorded on these two machines (the E50 and a JVC machine that was on the shelf next to it) wouldn't play on any DVD player", you should have seen the look on his face when i told him i already had an E50 and EVERYTHING that has been recorded on it plays on the DVD player sitting next to it. :laugh:

I can see why he would try to put me off the E50 seeing as it doesn't have -RW, but i couldn't see his problem with the JVC, surely not a JVC fan. :laugh:

Hammy

5. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    It's wrong though, in fact it's more than wrong it's plain dishonest. The general public should at the very least be entitled to go into an independent high st store, or watch a product review on television and receive impartial factual advice. Instead of which they receive biased advice from people who don't know their a*** from their elbow.

6. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I view QVC as soporific entertainment. When I need a soothing few minutes, I watch a bit of this channel, the home office and workshop bits are the best (probably because I understand them the most). Half an hour of listening to twaddle is enough to send anyone to sleep:laugh:

But seriously, most of the people who buy off these channels wouldn't think of or care about researching a purchase or make the effort to visit a dealer (many of whom seem to speak twaddle as well). If they are happy at the end of the day, and most are, judging by the success of these channels; what does it matter.

7. hammy

hammy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Your friend is back on, it's the same guy that was flogging the Mustek Machine. :laugh:

Agree with you that it is wrong, needless to say the guy at comet paid the price as he lost the sale, which he was about to get.

Hammy

8. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    lol i seen this guy just now aswell lmao oh god would it be funny to have someone ring up and throw him a few curveballs lmao.absolutely classic stuff :)

9. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Before he'd even opened his mouth I thought the machine looked awful, cheap, nasty, prehistoric and the price for a plain old DVD Recorder without HDD was high.

Anyway the presentation was a joke!

I do watch QVC now and again and it is amazing how they can be so biased about the product they are selling.

Its always better than the one that they have at home and a friend or relative has bought one and loves it, doesn't stop using it!

I have bought the odd item from them but only if its something that I already know of and see their price is good. They do have some greatly priced bargains but probably 99% of what they have is ****e!

10. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Oh and by next week that same guy will probably be selling a RAM machine and saying that its the Dogs ********!!!

11. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    While you are all concerned for the poor souls that are persuaded to buy bottom end gear from these from these channels. Just consider the many individuals who are persuaded to spend vast sums on expensive hifi/home cinema kit, cables etc by the magazines, 'top end' manufacturers, dealers etc.

I am sure that fitting £50 capacitors with solid gold legs in the power supply or using a silver plated scart cable over the half metre between DVD and Tuner box will make a massive difference to my viewing pleasure (sarcasm) and my bank balance (reality).

It's not just the shopping channel viewers who are being duped into buying kit that they don't need or doesn't perform the miracles that they expect. :zonked:

At the end of the day it is a business and they will try to relieve you of your hard earned cash whenever they can.

12. southpaw

southpaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  13. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    It's a cracker :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

14. Radio_Daze

Radio_Daze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Saw one Guy on QVC who said "All the latest Plasma screens are LCD" :D
    IDIOT!

15. LizzyF

LizzyF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In all fairness to QVC.
    Last May I bought a JVC DR-MV1 DVD / VCR player recorder from QVC. I found it to a super machine, quite straightforward for a simple soul like me and doing everything demonstrated. After about 5 months I started having little problems with it. At Christmas it virtually packed in altogether. In the New Year, having no assistance from JVC, I got onto QVC. They were very helpful and sent a courier for it. Within 2 weeks, they took it upon themselves to put a full refund into my Credit Card account. They could have kept me dangling for weeks waiting for repair I don't think I could have expected better service.

I know some of their experts could be better, but how many shops have experts and many people like me need things to be explained a little simpler.

Lizzy F