1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quote from Paradigm tech support on availability in the UK

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by SanPedro, Sep 25, 2003.

1. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    When I emailed Paradigm about the problems with my sub I also asked them if they had stopped selling in the UK.

Here's the response:

"...To the best of my knowledge, Richer Sounds continues to be the sole Distributor for the U.K. and they are able to order whatever models are needed in their market."

So maybe any frustrated wannabe Servo 15 owners should give both companies a bit of a earbashing to see if the situation can be resolved.

Chris L

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might just do that :D

Thanks for that Chris :)

3. Dougie Styles

Dougie Styles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I emailed them with the news that their sole UK distributor was telling everyone Paradigm was going out of business. They must have thought it was a joke as I received no reply.

4. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I think if enough people where to ring and moan, then RS may well get some more in.....but the prices might start going up.
    From what i can make of it, RS do not make much money on these products....they make more on the MS and sherwood range.
    They do not push Eltax as much now, as they used to....so maybe they are not making as much on these anymore.

5. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I still have a browse round when I'm passing but RS are too much of an own brand retailer to interest me these days.

6. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    New quote from paradigm tech support guy:

"The Servo-15 is still a current model and units are available for customers both in North America and overseas.

Perhaps the buyer at Richer Sounds has not ordered more because he is not aware of the number of people who are trying to purchase this model

Regarding the "stories" you mentioned, they are a completely false fabrication. Paradigm continues to be a successful, internationally acclaimed leader in speaker design/manufacturing and we are not in any danger of going "bust". "

So the answer, ist seems, would be to lobby Mr Richer himself, since he's always papping on about customer service.

Chris L

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    they must really be starting to wonder..... im half tempted to email myself just to stiur the pot

Ad

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I certainly would. I emailed RS asking about 4 Cherry Servo 15's. Not interested, we can't get it.

If you like the speaker company why not back them by imforming them the UK distributer are useless monkeys?

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I can understand them not wanting to sell Servo 15 subwoofers as it isn't their core business. They are "pile em high and sell em cheap" boxshifters and rely on high volumes. The Servo 15 will always be a niche product which is not their market.

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I am sure that there are many other people willing to import and distribute these subwoofers but the end price will be nowhere near what Richer Sounds have been charging.

We normally work on the US dollar price being what goods will sell for in pounds over here and I don't think that many of you will be quite so keen to buy once the price rises to over £1,000

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would you have bought a SVS if their customer service was crap though?

"Dear SVS -my subwoofer arrived damaged"
    Reply..
    "Sod off"

No I don't think so. So why should Richer Sounds get away with being a distributer of low end gear (plus some nicer stuff- in which they're not bothered with?)

Surely Paradigm & Arcam (and other upper end gear they sell) is being tarnished by this morons? Not only that- they buy out small hifi companies who where good in there field- and now they're forgotten by the audio enthuasits.

12. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    When i was asking about buying a 2200, i was told " Why not go for another Servo 15 "....i replied " i didernt think you had anymore"......RS say " I think we have.....what colour did you want...black or cherry ".

So the colour choice must be on their computer system.

When i rang the Customer (Not so helpfull) help number...i did try to order a cherry one and was told that they only recive about 10% in cherry and they normally sell straight away.

If they do get anymore shipments, i would like a cherry one.....infact i think i would order 2 cherry ones, especially if they keep the price the same......they make brilliant corner tables.

13. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    just got a pw2200 for £240
    well chuffed.

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    for reference, the servo started life at £800...... this was set as rrp at the time so £1000 as a figure is high. I suspect that the servo would sell as well as any other £800 sub given choice of finish and a good support system.

Ad

15. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Most if not all of whom managed to go bust quite happily by themselves before Richer Sounds bought them.

I do like the new 'Please don't use the website , our stores are better' letter on the RS home page.

16. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I'd chip in my experiences wrt Richer Sounds.

I've had a Servo15 on order at the Romford branch for about 8 weeks. They told me they had 10 Broken units in the repairs place, and about 5 around the country .Off the top of my head it was Stockport, Leicester, portsmouth, Watford, Holborn(london) and somewhere else on the Sth coast.

I phoned most of these stores, even prepared to pay me mate £80 + petrol to do a big collection drive about for me(wanted 2 of 'em), but none available.......

RS romford told me that they thought these were the last few...

I've decided to go the diy route now....

Good luck if anyone actually gets one:smashin:

If mine comes through on order it'll be on the hardware for sale bit for £500 - compensation for all the crap we've put up with;) hehehe

Cheers

Rob

17. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Don't drive to Portsmouth. Aint no Richer Sounds here mate.;)

18. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

:D Must 've been Southampton then..

Rob

19. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    FWIW, when I asked Richer Sounds what the situation was yesterday they said they weren't able to get anymore because the supplier had gone bust!

20. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If Paradigm are still trading I'm sure they'll want to know that the sole distributer in UK are informing possible customers that they're bankrupt!

I have no feelings one way or the other regarding Paradigm- but surely you lot should email Paradigm and let them know what Richer Sounds are dribbling out of their mouths?

21. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Ian J mentioned that if someone else were to sell Paradigm speakers here they wouldn't be able to do the same prices, but i wonder if that would be true.

I don't know what volumes they sell of other Paradigm kit but looking at what's in store it doesn't seem to be anything like the amount of Cambridge Audio, Eltax, Gale etc.

If they are not doing bucketloads of the stuff then the laws of economics would suggest they aint getting a fab deal from Paradigm. Unless of course they stitched Paradigm into believing they would sell bucketloads. But that doesn't make sense, as we all know, as they could probably sell as many Servo 15s as they could lay their hands on at that price. So why couldn't another dealer get a similar deal, maybe selling via the internet?

Anyways I emailed Paradigm to say as much.

Chris

22. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Or they had a few knocking around so they tried to shift them at £399 probably with a very slim profit margin. Demand explodes and they dont want to shift them at that price. Next month they will go up in price and they will have loads to shift.

I think we need an honest inside view from someone at RS on this one.

23. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Richer Sounds had an annual turnover of £94,000,000 last I read. I have no doubt that they would be laughing their socks off at the description of a few people wanting to buy this subwoofer at a clearance price as an explosion in demand.

I would suggest that anyone wishing to buy this subwoofer should telephone the purchasing department and ask them what the situation is and perhaps post your response in this thread.

If they have discontinued this product and the "explosion in demand" gives them cause to rethink, don't be surprised it it is restocked at a price more economic for them.

24. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I was rather tired when I posted last night but I still imagine that we have caught them on the hop. They do seem to have become flavour of the month around here and RS probably arent very happy about having to let them go at possibly cost price.

It could be the case that the buyer for RS simply doesnt know about the hassle people have had trying to get hold of one over the past few months. They may have seen "30" on the system and bumped the price down to shift them.

However if they do go up to a more "reasonable" price people will want the next "amazing" subwoofer instead. Servo 15s just wont be flavour of the month anymore.

25. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crazily enough the Servo 15 is writing a whole new economic rulebook - that of inverse supply and demand. Richer seem to only get them in when people don't want them, and then rapidly run out of them when they do, only to wait for demand to die down before re-ordering them.:confused:

26. ChrisNic

ChrisNic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    :clap: Also known as the great economic theory "made a pigs ear of it" :rotfl:

27. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    or 'head in butt' syndrome

ad

28. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I've spoken to Lindon the manager of my local Sheffield RS store. I consider him a friend and I'm sure he'd say the same about me, everytime I go in the store and if he's not to busy I spend a good while talking about general rubbish mainly hifi though as well as him enthusiatically demonstating the latest toy he's got in. This weeks flavour was the mosiac remote which I bought up almost immediately after the demonstation, a bargain at £60 or £80 with the charging station.
    Sorry just realised I'm dribbling, I'll get to the point. Well I was talking about the Servo15 being in real demand amongst the AV community and he told me that they've stocked them since 1999 and they've never been great sellers, we both put it down to the size at the time rather than the performance. But he did say that demand has raised over the past two years when they dropped the price to £500 and since its gone to £400 they've just dissappeared.
    He also told me that Richer Sounds only has 2 deliveries from Paradigm a year! Unless its a special order for the customer but this results in an expensive order as its not bulk buying. He also told me that they've cut back drastically on ordering the paradigm loudspeakers and its nearly all just subs now(not neccessarily Servo15's)
    I asked if he knew about the availalibilty of the servo15 in future and he just shrugged his shoulder and said who knows until we have the stock updates and deliveries.

29. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh no..... the world is coming to an end! A sensible richer sounds employee!? :eek: :D

Ad

30. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    The two deliveries a year thing was told to me by the manager in the Newcastle branch a while back. I asked him about the Servo15 (I was actually buying a PS1000 at the time) and why RS don't stock more Paradigm stuff. He said, to the best of my memory, that "...people just don't want to spend that kind of money on speakers. It's kinda fustrating as Paradigm make really good kit. We used to stock the Monitor and Studio ranges, but couldn't keep them in stock as no on bought them."