1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiz TV

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Geordie Jester, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Anyone else watch this tv channel last night ???

First time I've seen it. On the whole it seems a bit of a con as you phone up and often get a message saying "thanks for calling, you have been unsuccessful this time" and charge you 75p for the privilage.

Last night I actually watched the puzzle and thought I had the answer (thats how it works I guess, everyone is convinced they can spot answer ! So I registered on the net and you get a call-back.... straight thru to studio. and promptly got it wrong.

We taped the rest so we could hear the answer (runs til 2am). My guess was 116 and the answer was 12342 !!

Here is the puzzle. can someone work out how they did it?

[ADD ALL THE NUMBERS IN THE TEXT]

toney neves guru of existentialism found himself lying on smooth reeds and
    driftwood marooned on easter island alone but for the Jabiru of the forest
    he searched in the undergrowth and found a crate of artworks money and five
    suits after sixty years he was rescued by Sotherby's

for example there is one in tONEy, and neves is SEVEN backwards and so on. I get 116. Will post all the ones Ive found if people are curious. But I can't see how you can get 12342.

2. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phone me and I will tell you. The number is 0901 333 234 and will cost you £1.50 a minute. If I am busy I might need to put you on hold for a while :)

3. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    :) I know I know. Im not the sort of person to phone these things, but I love puzzles so I really want to solve it ! I think its out of order for the station not to explain the answer !

It has to be a lot more cryptic than it looks I guess. Maybe things like suits = 4 as there are four suits in cards. and maybe "crate" is like 12 because there are often 12 bottles in a crate (or whatever!).

but from 116 to 12342 there is a heck of a difference !

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Geordie,

I hate tp say this, but almost ALL of their quizes are cons, be it the ones that ask you to...

- guess how many shapes there are, in a specific pattern
    - guess how many numbers are in a passage of text
    - guess the number of playing card suites, in an image shown on screen, etc, etc.

When you look at the puzzles, and even when you get given the answer, they never, ever seem to tally... not even closely.

I entered one competition, because I could have sworn blind that the answer I had was right, but the person who won, actually gave the wrong answer! :eek:

As such, I've given Quiz TV, and all the associated similar channels that do these kinds of puzzles, (e.g. Bikini Beach, Quiz Nite, Play The Game, et al), a wide berth, because they're not winnable.

Worst of all, the prize might be £100, and the Jackpot prize is, say, £10,000. In order to win the jackpot, the winner of the prize often has to pick a number, from 1-16, or spin a computer-generated wheel. You can't win the Jackpot, because no matter what number you choose or what number on the wheel your spin lands on, the quiz host says you've simply been "unlucky"! All I can say, is that that's complete bull, and they know it! :mad:

If you try to complain to OFCOM, all that the company says is that you were simply unlucky, and OFCOM can't do anything, because they haven't actually broken any broadcasting regulations or UK competition laws.

Ultimately, these games are rigged, so that you can only win very small amounts of money (i.e. less than £500), and they make a :censored: fortune, with everyone that enters at £1 per minute (or whatever they charge you)!

Personally, I think that these kinds of programmes and channels, shouldn't be allowed to broadcast these competitions, because there's no way you can win what they claim to offer as the top ptize or jackpot! It's all a bloody great con! :mad:

Pooch

5. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    well said my man

6. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I sat fascinated by one of these, 217 I think it was. The answer appeared obvious, but, of course the "correct" answer they gave was plucked from the producers head. Idiot after idiot (no offence to anyone ;) ) rang up and gave answers that they had already said were wrong, buy hey, that's part of the fun. I became so fascinated that I stayed up 'til 2am to see the "correct" answer ROFl. What a con.
    Obsessed, I watched it a few more times. Some examples of the "easy" questions were:
    "How many numerals on a calculator?" This number was to be added to four other simpler questions like: "how many Olympic rings?"
    The answer, which they gave was in the region of 5500???????? Even if you count numerals that can be made from a calculator face, like 1.23, 1.24 etc, it doesn't even get close.
    "How many Hearts?".....a picture was shown with several playing cards, most of them hearts. So, what do you do, add up the hearts on the screen? Add up all the hearts in a deck of cards? Whatever, the answer they gave was 155???????? again, no idea how they figured that out.

What amazed me the most was that there were people who got through six or seven times (some were even dumb enough to give the same wrong answer twice). Given the odds of being "selected" even once, these people must have been on constant redial. I wouldn't like to be paying their phone bills.
    It is, however, strangely addictive :)

7. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Yeah the one evening was totally enough for me ! You are right that it is a total con.

The numbers one above looks like it might include all Roman numerals too, as you get very close the answer. But if you ask me there are so much ambiguity that they will have a list of 15 or so possible, plausible answers and of course they will probably just tick them off one by one as people guess them. the 15th possible answer will win (if they want it to !)

The first time you switch it on it did draw me in as it makes you think 'hang on--- I think I have it..' etc and because its on so many hrs you always think no one has guessed the answer.

Only other puzzle we looked at was the night after where you had to 'count the vowels' ! They even managed to make that weird. they must have been including vowel sounds in words mebbes...... dreadful that they don't explain

Im convinced they can't survive for long.......surely it gets people like me flicking by the channel and being convinced people have missed 'the answer'. but then never go back !

What on earth makes you stick with it and not think you are being conned ?!

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi Geordie,

You've kind of answered your own questions:

1) The fact that the competitions are at best a swiz, and at worst a complete con, is a moot point. Providing they aren't actually breaking any OFCOM regulations, there's nothing OFCOM or viewers can do. If they can prove any of their competitions has a valid answer, and the explanation of how they arrive at the winning answer is valid, then ther's bugger-all we (or OFCOM) can do.

If I ran a competition, on TV, which asked what does one plus one equal, and the answer I want was 884, and could provide an answer that was seemingly legitimate to OFCOM, I'm safe from prosecution by them for breaking any of their rules. Viewers could moan at me. They could call me a cheat, a swindler, or even a liar, but if the answer appeases OFCOM, that's all that matters.

2) The fact they don't explain their answers, and how they arrive at them, is the sneaky bit! It's that reason, viewers like you and I fail to see how they arrive at the answers, and are left bemused and annoyed! If they explained the answers, then OFCOM would probably be able to show that they were breaking rules. As they don't explain them, they keep themselves from getting b*ll***ed by OFCOM - jammy swines! :mad:

3) Lastly, there will always be plenty of people who will keep on trying to enter these competitions, because of the fact they are so easy, and yet even though you tell yourself it's got to be a con, human greed and desire for cash, keeps egging us on for one more try, just in case you win! Why do so many of play the Lottery each Wednesday and Saturday?! The chances of winning the jackpot prize each draw, are something like one in sixteen million chances! Yet, millions of us each week pay a £1, cross our fingers, and desperately hope that we win something!

These channels know us humans, and they know that they've got a nice little thing going on here! So, until they get caught out, or run afoul of OFCOM rules, they can keep making their money, and in turn, keep running their competitions - despite the fact, that it's almost impossible to win them!

It takes just one person, to win a single competition, and the channel's running them, are safe and sound from OFCOM! If nobody ever won, then questions could be asked - but that isn't ever going to happen, and they know it. Hell, they could fit it, and give a win to someone with a wrong answer. Either way, the channels win, and viewers loose out! They know it! We know it! And yet, we're the only loosers, in their gigantic scam! :mad:

Pooch

9. donQ

donQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I too don't know how they got 12342. I could get close to this figure by adding up the roman numeral values. That is, there are 5 M's in the text = 5000 etc.
    Numeral number Value
    M 5 5000
    D 13 6500
    C 3 300
    L 5 250
    X 2 20
    V 2 10
    I 12 12
    Total = 12092.
    This still leaves 250 short. That seems a suspicious number to be short, so I think the Roman numerals is part of the answer. If anyone knows how to make this missing value, I'd would love to know.
    I suspect the producers have a selection of answers in case someone guesses it too early.

10. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You might be close here.You haven't used all the roman numbers .
    What about iv=4,vi,vii,viii,ix etc etc.
    Sorry but I can't be bothered to look :D

11. donQ

donQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah, I tried that. I got it to be an additional 75. Leaving 175 short?

12. jaynigs

jaynigs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    My guess is that the quiz you refer to is called count up conundrum, its not a con, it is possible to work out, im not going to work it out for you but i have been playing for just over 2 weeks and i have already won £3000, £2400 of which was on the rich list.

I must admit that at first i automatically assumed they were cheating, but after winning £3000 i know they don't, thing is that people ring up with the simple answer of say 15 and don't stop for a second to think "hang on! its at £1000 and noone has got it yet" surely the answer isnt the obvious one! but no, caller after caller get it wrong, and i can't believe the amount of people who call in and say 0! thinking they are some kind of genius.

"toney neves" is an anagram of 71 , did u count that?
    "guru of" has four backwards..
    "existentialism" there is an anagram of 16 there. ( existen )

Im not going to do al the calculations for you, but every one they have done so far i have worked out in the end.

They can be very clever with these, you just need to study them

And when people cannot work them out they complain, you just need to know how they work them out guys and get inside the quiz masters head

13. Light_User

Light_User

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The first (and only) programme I have ever watched, I realised that I knew the answer. Ah ha, thinks I, I'll just give them a call and have some lubby jubbly money to spend. I picked up my phone (landline - no rip off mobile for me!!) and dialled the number only to remember that I have call barring (to stop the kids phoning all those dodgy chatlines etc). Doh !!!! :rolleyes: :mad: :D

I suppose that serves me right for being such a mean bastard to the kids!! :( :D

14. donQ

donQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jaynigs,
    No, I missed those. I also missed that 'existentialism found himself lying on' contains an anagram of 'million'. Looks like the quiz masters missed that one as well.
    'admit' contain 'mit' which as everybody knows is an old Latin word meaning 35 and a half. I wonder if they included that one?
    Maybe they should rename it from quiz tv, to make-a-random-guess-tv. Or how about, we've-got-eighty-answers-that-we-can-turn-to-should-someone-guess-it-before-we've-made-two-hundred-thousand-pounds-from-it-tv.
    Do you actually know how they arrived at that figure? Are those anagrams included? I refuse to watch the program again until I know the answer to this. If it does contain those, then I'll know it's a con and never watch it again.

15. jaynigs

jaynigs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The anagrams have to be consecutive, you cant find million by ignoring other letters in the way.

Also, i can assure you they dont have a list of answers, otherwise they would have prevented me from winning the rich list 2 nights in a row! If you have the answer, you win. Im not saying that sometimes they don't forget a roman numeral, or change the answer by 2 for whatever reason, but once they have their answer ( whatever it may be ) they dont change it!

Once you have a way of working the quiz out, you can win and like i said, i have done this and have been very succesful.

I may even post the full solution to working out the toney neves quiz when i get time, its quite easy. Its called count up conundrum which implies hidden words toney neves being a prime example of this. And as i recall the quiz says to add the VALUE of all the numbers in the text, which indicates roman numerals.

16. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    jaynigs, are you talking about the same quiz as I am? Channel 217 on Sky......Quiz Nation? They certainly seem to make the answers up on that one...........

17. jaynigs

jaynigs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hehe, no no, we are talking about Quiz TV, which is where that quiz above ( toney neves ) came from.

I've never watched Quiz Nation, so i cannot comment on that one.

18. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Ah, just found it on 632........The Graduate........Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise...........gimme the money :)

19. donQ

donQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jaynigs,
    Now you've explained it, I feel so stupid. It's quite clear how to work it out.
    'Count up conundrum' does indeed imply hidden words. It implies anagrams, and anagrams which can span more than one word. Those 3 words also imply the inclusion of numbers formed by reading the text backwards and including part words (guru of).
    I thought the VALUE of all the numbers meant they were using hexadecimal. I was adding up all the a,b,c,d,e and f values.

I hope you do get the time to post the full answer. It's a shame you didn't have the time on the night the quiz was aired. You could have worked it out easily and won the money.

20. jaynigs

jaynigs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hmm i sense a little sarcasm, but ive given this quiz a quick look..

I (x12) = 12
    V (x2) = 10
    X (x2) = 20
    L (x5) = 250
    C (x3) = 300
    D (x13) = 6500
    M (x5) = 5000

IV(x1) = 4
    IX(x1) = 9
    XI(x1) = 11
    LI(x1) = 51

Total Roman = 12167

Toney Neves = 71
    GuRU OF = 4
    EXISTENTialism = 16
    smooTH REEds = 3
    DrifTWOod = 2
    maroONEd = 1
    ON Easter = 1
    alONE = 1
    JabiRU OF = 4
    UndergrOWTh = 2
    arTWOrks = 2
    mONEy = 1
    five = 5
    sixty = 60

Total Words Value = 173

Grand Total = 12340

Actual Answer = 12342

ok, Its 2 away, there may or may not be a reason for those missing 2.

But according to the dictionary, alone and lone are synonyms for one. Maybe they were included also, if so then the answer hits 12342 smack on.

21. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    thats nice ... but what about hexidecimal number values ... if you can include roman numerals what about all the other representation of numbers by letters.
    Unless someone defines exactly what is and what is not valid - its basically openended rubbish.
    What about the fact that U and V can be interchanged depending on the language, if we can have latin numbers what about greek ???
    every M represents 10,000 in the Greek Attic system.

I can go on forever .....

22. donQ

donQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very good,
    Hang on though, what about
    existentialism = 6
    Sixty = 6
    neves = 7
    tony = 100?

The fact that you are still 2 out and you know the answer, proves that it is a con.
    If you were guessing on the night with no idea, you could include anagrams, numbers spelt backwards, roman numeral (single digits and/or combinations), try them all and still not get it right.
    Maybe one of the questions should be how many possible answers are there to this question? Now that would be a challenge.
    The fact that the answer is not revealed at the end also shows that it's a con. I guess if the viewers saw how the answer was made up, they'd never ring in again.
    I was actually looking for one sinlge method that produced that number. If the answer does, as it seems, include a selection of different methods, then I really don't care anymore.
    Thanks anyway.

23. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Toney Neves = 71.........OK, but surely it also contains seven and one, so that would be 79 altogether? (ton= slang for 100 as well, so 179?)

24. jaynigs

jaynigs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well, i see what you are all saying but, since the point of this to find the way they work it out and the method they use each game, which you can compute from a similiar game they have already done and already revealed the answer, since this method has been used on many of their quizes of the same type and have come just as close or bang on, it stands to reason you need to work out how they calculate them and apply the same method.

I dont dipsute the fact that the values can be construed as anything, but they dont change their basic method when the same game reappears.

25. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

With all due respect, people, you'll never get to find out how they obtain the answers to any of these ridiculous comptetions! Every competition, no matter how simple or complex it is, is going to end-up with an answer (the one they officially give you) as being a brain-wringing exercise in "what the fudge?!" and plenty of :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: !

The companies/satellite channels that run these quizes, deliberately rig them, so that there's no feasable way of genuinely (and honestly) winning the Jackpot money prizes! At best, you may win around £500 to £1000, if you're very lucky, and happen to guess luckily too. But there's no way on this planet, that you'll be able to work out the answer properly and give it to them, AND get it right!

The sooner you realise all of this - i.e. that you are being conned - the better you will be. Enter the National Lottery instead! Even with odds of 1 in 16 million of winning the jackpot every Wednesday and Saturday, at least you have a better chance of winning then, than winning on these stupid Quiz channels/shows!

I'm sorry to be so harsh, but these channels know full-well that they are conning every person that calls up to enter, and at £1 per call, they're making a :censored: fortune!

Lastly, when the person presenting the show claims that "50% of the calls will be randomly chosen to potentially get put through to the studio", all that person is really saying is "Actually, we may select you to speak to live on air, or we may not". You have to read between the lines with these people.

If I said that there was a 50% chance of the world ending tomorrow afternoon at 3:47pm, this would be the exact same thing as me saying "Well, the world may end tomorrow afternoon at 3:47pm, or then again, it may not"!

Basically, I'd be guessing!

Don't enter these ridiculously rigged quiz shows and competitions on any of these Satellite TV channels! The only thing you can possibly win, is a bloody great huge phone bill! :rolleyes:

Pooch

26. jaynigs

jaynigs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well thats all well and good to say that, but we won £3275 split between 7 different quizes. And this is my 3rd week of watching this channel, So on personal experience, i would have to say you are wrong.

And the Beauty of it all is the fact that it didnt cost me a penny.

27. jaynigs

jaynigs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Home cinema, hi-fi and quizzes, lol, thing is ive had no need to post in any other threads, i just bought a new plasma and cambridge audio amp, and read some stuff on these forums before i bought them.

28. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

Umm, two points, need to be made:

1) You only won these competitions, through sheer luck! :lesson: You did not win them, because you were smarter, or quicker than anyone else, but purely because you got picked by the TV presenter, and happened to get the answer that they claim is the correct answer. (Nine times out of ten, their correct answers, are actually complete balls, and don't bear an ounce of resemblence to the genuine answer!)

2) You claim it didn't cost you a penny! I beg to differ... It would have cost you a minimum of £1 per time you rang-in to the competitions! I don't believe you got through and were selected on each of the 7 competitions you entered, on your first chance! I'm not saying you didn't, but I just don't believe you could be that lucky!

Regardless of the fact you won £3275, I still stand by everything I said earlier about these competitions/quizzes being rigged, and being a complete con! :thumbsdow I'm happy to agree-to-disagree with you on this. :)

Pooch

29. stealther

stealther

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Iam with pooch

Sat and watched one of these channels the other night, bloody con. Sky should not allow them but suppose they get a % of profits which must be vast!

30. jaynigs

jaynigs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Erm, No it didnt cost me a penny, i used the free web entry.. :rolleyes:

Luck huh? then how come i won again today! lol and how can it be luck when the answer was in the thousands! you can't guess that every time, the odds would be rediculous.

If im so lucky, i had better do the lottery!