Quite right too - not allowed burka in court

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deadringers, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Deadringers

Deadringers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,800
    BBC News - Hackney woman told to remove burka by crown court judge

I think finally some common sense has prevailed with this "oh but it's against my religion" thing.

Still think they should not be worn in public because if I went around wearing my balaclava people would probably call the police.

Which does raise an interesting point...if she wears this the whole time outside her home due to her religion then how could a witness or anyone else know it was her who had performed a crime?

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Hear hear.

3. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    Some common sense, bit of a rarity these days. What these religious types have to understand is that not even faith is above the law, simple.

4. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,177
    Judge Judy would no doubt do the same...great example of common sense!

5. AnimalOfAnarchy

AnimalOfAnarchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Totally agree with everything that has been said. It's quite true too. Wasn't there a case a couple of years ago where a MAN wore a burqa to rob something or someone and he got arrested for it? I can vaguely remember it...

But yeah, it's because of the reasons I stated above in which I also believe that shouldn't happen. That and also when people who wear burqas are driving. You shouldn't wear anything that could potentially cover up your vision.

6. indianwells

indianwells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    In general I think people should be able to wear whatever they like. Burqa's though I have a real problem with. They are totally alien to British life and as far as I can see are a hideous symbol of female oppression.

7. djcla

djcla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    Wear a burka, don't wear one who cares... Britain is a multi cultural society, shouldn't we embrace different religions and beliefs?
    Just my opinion anyway..

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  8. indianwells

indianwells

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,113
    I have no wish to embrace ANY religion, let alone those that treat women as second class citizens.

9. djcla

djcla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    Tbh not looked into it all that much, but I so long as its their choice I don't see an issue, if it's forced then a different matter

10. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,270
    The nutcases that do enforce the wearing of them seem very odd. They are not interested in looking at attractive women? I know a lot of talibaniacs are into sex with men instead, but forcing women to wear them has never made much sense to me.

11. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,569
    I agree that she should have to remove the burka to be identified, but I'm not against people wearing what they like in public.

Regarding this case, something that has been mentioned in this thread so far, she hasn't removed the burka yet. She's been told she will have to, but as far as I can tell, she hasn't got to that stage yet.

Which leads to an interesting situation. What happens if she refuses? Remove it by force? Put her in prison until she agrees to remove it? She could end up a martyr in prison indefinitely, and far longer than she might have got for the crime itself. Would we wan that? Is that the sort of country we are?

This will be an interesting one to watch.

Quick question, and I'll try to find out myself, what do they do in strict Islamic countries? Presumably this must come up all the time - there must be instances where identification is an issue.

Do they have all female courts? Maybe just identified briefly by authorised females?

Is there an issue with her wearing the burka once identity is established, or do we just want to stick it to 'these religious types' for fun? Is that what being British is all about?

Steve W

12. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,569
    Interestingly the Qur'an says:

So the only hard and fast rule is to not go topless.

And, as it is necessary to reveal your identity in court, I see no problem with that.

I would also remind this woman of another verse:

In other words, if you want to dress properly, the best clothes you can wear is to be a good person. Of course she hasn't been found guilty yet, but if she has committed a crime, the Qur'an says that's worse than any deviation from a dress code.

Steve W

13. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,057
    Actually I'd like to see all religious beliefs apart from Christianity banned.
    I'm not religious at all. Nor do I follow any faith.
    But in all countries where the religion beliefs of the Christian's is beaten down and not able to be shown we should just do the same.
    And why we are at it as well we should make sure we cut hands off for shop lifting, put people in prison for holding hands or kissing...

Ok im in a rant there. But in most cultures and countries outside of our own other cultures and religions aren't embraced. I don't want to turn this into a race war as I'm not racist in any way shape or form, but it seems to be white cultures and countries and more tolerant of other religions. Australia, America etc. Maybe our so say ways of civilization is our downfall.

Yes this is a generalisation at an extreme but I think you get the idea.

I'm all for religion I dont care what people believe, if they want to live like grown up children and believe in imagery people that's fine, but we all know the Easter bunny, Santa and the tooth fairy aren't real so what makes these greater beings different.

Once again please don't read this as a racist comment this is not meant to be one. If anyone is offended by the race issue sorry. The religious issue on the other hand just ask your greater being for my forgiveness I'm sure he will.

14. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    Thing is we are not an islamic country, never have or will be and if islamic folk wish to come here then they must adhere to our way of things and utmost of all they must obey the law of the land, not some phony sharia rubbish.

If these people wish to do things otherwise there are plenty of islamic states out there for them, but then they don't have the benefits of being here then and are subject to a justice system where women who are raped are treated like the criminal.

15. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    Religion is just fairy tales for grown ups. I agree with the comments above and personally i'd love to see the day that we ban people wearing these hideous burka things, not only is it a security issue its just so oppresive. A plce near me where we visit the main hospital quite a bit has a large muslim population, 15 years ago you hardly saw a burka, now they are everywhere, when we visit the hospital I flatly refuse to enter a lift if someone is wearing one and won't entertain anybody (even a dr) speaking from behind one, I like most folk actually want to see who i'm conversing with.

16. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,569
    Bloody hell, some ofvthese comments are disturbing.

It seems some people would like to defend our British way if life in very un-British ways.

How about a but of tolerance, understanding, freedom of expression, you know the sort of things we fought for in WWII?

Steve W

17. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,057
    Actually Pecker we thought for our Freedom in the second world war to make sure we didnt have to live then German way of life. the war was to give us freedom and allow us to be British and carry on our British ways.

We are British and need to be proud to be a country that is British and the British way is Christianity that's plain and simple. We have our own religion COE so do we convert everyone that comes in??

18. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,221
    Contempt of court is always treated more seriously than many petty crimes. So it's nothing new. Commit robbery, burglary or theft & be sent merrily on your way with a slapped wrist. Cross a judge & it's go directly to jail.

19. DaveBhoy

DaveBhoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Church Of England isn't a British religion - there's a wee clue in the name...

20. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,057
    That's where your wrong. England is in Britain therefore it is. Unless England's moved

21. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,569
    Actually, we fought a Nazi ideology which, among other things, sought to discriminate against minorities. We welcomed the persecuted to this country.

In what way is Christianity a 'British' religion. Was it Jesus of Newcastle?

The British way of life is not one of intolerance to other religions.

Steve W

22. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,569
    I agree. That's why it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Steve W

23. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,825
    I see the intolerant bigots are all out of the closet again... Nothing like a bit of a non story to stir up the old 'I'm not a racist but....' brigade.

Phil

24. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,177
    If I walked into court with a motorcycle crash helmet on would that be accepted......or a bank, or a post office to collect a parcel for that matter?

It's a crock.

25. oakie

oakie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I always though it was Britain who were the aggressors and declared war on Germany - not a very tolerant or understanding thing to do, nor was the indiscriminate bombing of civilians in Dresden but i digress.
    Burka's which are worn for cultural not religious reasons should be treated like any other face covering, crash helmet, balaclava etc

26. officerdibble11

officerdibble11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    what are your views on identifying people in court ? do you think someone who believes in a religion makes them exempt from the law of the land ? or that they should perhaps have special treatment in court ?

27. officerdibble11

officerdibble11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    did your history lessons come out of a cracker ? i have read some tripe on here but thats right up there.

28. oakie

oakie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    No we didn't - we declared war on Germany because they invaded Poland.

29. thedude

thedude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,057
    Yes we did fight those less fortunate and welcome them here. But if you think we didnt fight that war because we didn't want to protect Britain and our values you are very much mistaken

For the guy that's calling me a bigot, that's based on this argument I assume and you are part of the political correctness.

If you actually read my argument properly I took a pop at all religion as a whole. I dont care what colour you are abd where your from. I don't care for your religion and your beliefs. But alas as all countries seem to be founded on one religious belief or another there is no reason why we should t embrace our own and not care for the rest.
    I dont care what religion you are you don't cover your face in court. All religions condemned gay people and the practice of it is that ok for you to accept? Sorry in my world it's not. Religion here is the root of all evil. What I'm saying is ban religions completely but if you can't then at least make people in Britain follow/respect ours as we would in other countries.

30. stunno

stunno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Since when has being British meant being christian?

I'm British but most definitely not christian! I also resent the christian attitude that you cannot be a "good person" without having christian values. Im sure there were a lot of good people about long before someone sat down and concocted the fables that have ruined the world.

But back on topic, well done the judge! It may be a cultural thing that we British have an aversion to people wearing any kind of mask, but the court is here and all should comply with our rules