1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quite Disappointed with the AE700... (and its not just VB!)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by robyoung, Nov 22, 2004.

1. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Right guys,

I delved in to the PJ market a few weeks back and with all the raving about the AE700 i went for it with out a viewing (i know silly me!) and to be honest i'm not that impressed, :mad: ok the colours and brightness are fantastic but i have one particular problem which is hard to explain (its a sort of shadow effect), when something dark and 'prominent' comes on screen, it will leave a green shadow to the left of it, i've tried some tweaks in the options but with no luck. has anybody had something similiar, i have a picture of the effect which i'll try and post up. :confused:

Also the VB to my eyes is unacceptable!! Ok the flicker tweak minimizes it, but it never really goes away. Plus you have to do this flicker tweak about once ever half hour while the PJ warms up, which is no good when you're watching a tension building film! Whilst watching Trainspotting (class! :thumbsup: ) last night i found it very distracting! (it seems to appear worst on shades of Red/orange)

Have anyone else had the same problems with a similiar set up? I am considering returning it and swapping for a different PJ. So what are my alternatives. I need a short throw lense, lense shift and a good zoom, preferably an RGB Scart socket but not essential)

My current set up is running through an RGB Scart, approx 12-13ft away from a 8ft (106") screen. it is zoomed 100% and lens shift is slightly down (as its celing mounted). Will any of these increase the problems i'm having?

Thanks for any ideas/advice!
    Rob

2. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Green shadow to the left of prominent things on screen? Ehhh... what? Sounds like a duff unit. There's nothing like that with mine.

I'm also zoomed all the way with lens shift almost all the way down.

3. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,254
    Sounds like a dodgey unit,contact the retailer and see what thet say.The only VB i have is on sky sports and its not that bad.
    Can you post a picture of your problem?

4. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    soulds to me like a panel alignment problem - do you get a red haze the other side of the dark objects?

5. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Here's a pic of the problem. (hope it works) this is when it shows up the worst, but also happens on films etc. (when i was watching Red Dragon, there was a shelf top the left of Ed Norton and he ended up with green line on his face)

[​IMG]

Excuse the poor quality, it was taken with my phone. I cant really get a pic if the VB but i tend to notice it constantly.

Rob

6. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    No, it seems to be clear the other side. Very strange, i'm glad it's not a common problem will contact the retailer and see what they say. (it was discount electrical) so hopefully the will be fully sympathetic! :)

rob

7. stuthemong

stuthemong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    whoa. that isnt right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

either your source is doing something very strange - can you test on a different DVD player or something? or the projector is faulty.

Dont fret mate, it isnt meant to look like that!!!!

stu

8. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dodgy unit by the look of things. If possible connect to a component lead or vga lead(through PC) when watching DVDs. I changed my X-box/Playstation to a component connection and the difference is amazing!

9. jamesgrahamuk

jamesgrahamuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitely a faulty unit.

10. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure its not the source, as the picture I posted was from Sky+, it does it on DVD playback and on my PS2 as well.
    So the vote is Faulty unit, I'm going on holiday on Wednesday so will have to sort out a replacement when I'm back next week. Will it be a problem there now being 30 hours on the clock?? (also not sure if I've still got the box!) oops!

Being hopeful, maybe this problem has increased my VB, I havent heard of too many others having such VB, most say it is negligible. In fact I thought mine was negligble until I decided to be clever and do the flicker tweak for the first time, I'm probably just imagining things but I swear it got worse after that!

I forgot to mention, the PJ is connected through a Quintro+ scart box so I can switch between that and the Plasma, I'm sure this isnt effecting things, as my Plasma picture seems to be fine!

Cheers again!
    Rob

11. Aquila

Aquila
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I were you I'd first try connecting the DVD-player directly to the PJ instead of through the scart box before taking it back. I've had a bad experience in the past with a scart switch with similar strange colour effects. The problem was bad contacts.

12. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Faulty unit is my guess too. Get a good 'un and you'll soon have a smile on your face.

13. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Just called Discount Electrical, and they are collecting it tomorrow! Excellent service! :thumbsup:

Hopefully I should get it back when I'm back off holiday. :)

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has a similar viewing distance to Screen Size ratio on their experience with VB, and whether it's as noticeable. I'm thinking about getting a smaller screen, although really don’t want to, I've got used to the screen size and its perfect for that 'cinema like' feel.

Also does the connection (RGB, Component, HDMI) make any difference to VB?

Thanks
    Rob

14. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,254
    Im using a 7ft screen from 10ft away,only noticed a little bit of VB on skysports channels.Have my sky+ connected by scart.DVD player connected by component is an excellent picture,can't fault it at all.
    Looking at your picture i would say your unit is faulty,hopefully when you get it back the VB issue will also be sorted.

15. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That looks awful mate - im sure youll love the projector when you get a new one.

Mine seems to be from a newer batch, has no problems, completely unnoticable VB and picture is just astounding. It gets better the more I watch it!

Good luck with the new one :)

16. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,254
    Even on sky sports?Must admit now i have 60 hours on mine the picture does seem to be getting better and better. :D

17. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Have you thought that it could be a bad RGB cable? If the shielding isn't right, you might get such interference. Anyway, if you get it back and it still does it, try changing the cable or try a different input ( S video or component)
    Good luck!

18. Aquila

Aquila
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi explicitlyrics,
    could you read the production date of your pj on the sticker on the bottom of it and post it here?
    Thnx :)

19. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Thanks for the help again!

I tried it this morning direct to Sky/DVD etc (instead of through the Quintro) and it was still the same, unfortunately i couldnt try a different cable instead of the RGB Scart as it's a 10m one and i have no others lying about.

Anyway, its been collected from Discount Electrical today so we'll see hwat happens.

Rob

20. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My AE700 was produced in October 2004. So it is possible that there are slight differences but I really have no idea.

What are other peoples manufacturing dates?

21. PRINCEGRINCH

PRINCEGRINCH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Definately a faulty unit Rob as I've got an AE700 & a 105" DRH Screen @ about your viewing distance. No VB at all on any type of connection (HDMI-Component-Scart-S-Video-VGA), used em all. Hope that helps.

22. joffonon

joffonon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Agreed. I'm getting a perfect picture with a 10m SCART lead from my Sky+ box.