1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quite AMD 64 HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Embarker, May 12, 2005.

1. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Finally got feed up with the nforce 4 noise and fitted the blue zalman cooler.

Then fitted the zalman vga cooler to my XFX graphics card - yes it does fit. :thumbsup:

My mobo is the ASUS AN8 - Sli Deluxe and although the "cool 'n' quite" is very good, i also fitted the big 120mm cpu cooler from zalman.

Now have a super quiet, rock solid htpc.

If any one is thinking about taking the plunge and was put off by the noise, fear not. :clap:

Just trying to justify another 6600gt to see what the SLi will do but do not play that many games - one seems fine for HD and DVD.

I took some pics and shall load them soon :hiya:

Later

Dangerous Dave

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    'fraid to say if you don't play (many) games SLi is pretty pointless. Theres a pretty good article in one of this months computer mags (can't remember which one at the moment).
    It was quite interesting in that modern games like Half Life2 saw large improvements in performance, older games that just had SLi support strapped (UT2004 for one) on often performed the same or in some cases worse than the non-SLi. insummary plenty of potential for new specifically designed for games.
    For a media centre SLi is a waste of time and money IMHO

3. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    fully appreciate reply ;)

my forte is htpc and as such am totally :thumbsup: with the pc.

Forgot to mention that my case houses 5 hd. In addition 4 x 5.25 bays plus two internal h/d. mobo can support 8 sata's and 4 ide's so with a usb caddy dvd, that is one heck of a server with no raid card in sight. If using 300gb drives that is 3.3tb before formatting.

Just ordered two new 300gb sata's to squeeze in, so over 2tb and growing.

The case is the newer version of the acoustic case from quietpc.

Each too their own, i was just trying to let the community know that there is a AMD 64 quiet simple solution.

p.s. the plate under the mobo to support the standard chip was not glued - so swapping to the zalaman was easy as. In fact this does seem an easy board to mod.

Eitherway I can hear myself think now so :thumbsup:

4. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The mag is this months 'Custom PC'
    http://www.custompc.co.uk/ I'm pretty sure the article will appear online under once then next edition is out is you want a look.
    the 64 it a pretty easy chip to cool quietly, helped by it's slow clock speed:smashin:

5. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    here's a few pics

Attached Files: