Quite a strange one

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davee b, Jan 8, 2005.

1. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all

i've been happilly archiving all my old music videos to my faithful panny E55 until today when i've hit a snag. the machine turned itself off on a particular track. i turned it back on and after much chuntering to itself it let me carry on. the dvd plays ok but i cant copy the second half of the tracks to my pc for reauthoring (i like to make new dvd's of different tracks from different dvd's)

I decided i must have accidentally hit the OFF button so i bit the bullet and decided to re-do another dvd from my videos. amazingly the same thing happened again at the same point on the same track. this time i couldnt continue, couldnt name the disc or finalise it. Are these machines sensitive to something on tape that makes them turn off...there shouldnt be any copyright issues as they're all home made video tapes of tv footage. any ideas gratefully received. :suicide:

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

I would try different media from a different batch. DVDs are stamped, and there could have been a flaw with the stamper (or a foreign object stuck to it) that means every disc stamped with that stamper has the flaw in the same place.

The unit that recorded will likely be the better at overcoming the glitch on the disc or ignores it, whereas on your PC it fails.

Regards

Philip

3. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks philip i'll try that, however the same media (maxell 4X) from the same box have been ok up until now :rolleyes:

forgot to add that the dvd also plays ok with power dvd on the pc !! but windows explorer refuses to copy certain tracks namely 20, then 26 (the track that resets the recorder) onwards.

4. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Yes it does sound like a data glitch. Your DVD Playback software is clever enough to say "Hey, I know that bit of data is bad, but lets skip over it, it's only video and no one is too worried about a dropped frame here or there." Windows explorer on the other hand is dealing with it as data, and says, "Hey, that data is bad, lets keep on re-reading that bit until we get it read correctly, this is data and we must have every bit of it." If it can't read it will report an error and give up eventually.

Unfortunately a bad batch of discs have to start somewhere!

Regards

Philip

5. BigKidWithPC

BigKidWithPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have an answer for you, but I think I have the same - or a very similar - problem. I came to the forum this morning to see if there is anything mentioned about it.

My DMR E55 is new, and I have only recorded onto DVD RAM disks (Panasonic) until last night, when I tried to copy a previously recorded programme (not a film) from Sky+ to DVD-R disks (TDK). The E55 recorded the programme for about 30 seconds, stopped recording by itself, went through a Self Check and then seemed to freeze up. I had to turn it off and on before it would respond again. Like you, I tried it more than once and got the same response. However, in all cases the E55 said nothing had been recorded on the disks. This problem only happened with the DVD-R disks, not the DVD RAM disks, i.e. I had no problem recording the same programme to DVD RAM.

Like you say: a strange one.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    BigKidWithPC, sounds like the E55 doesn't like the brand of media. Try a different make (preferrably 1-4x speed). A good trick is to title the disc prior to recording as if that works it will 'normally' record the programme successfully.

7. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks guys. i got around it by copying the offending track from the playable (on standalone player) dvd to a video tape then succesfully copied it to a different brand of media along with the remaining corrupted tracks, then reauthored the entire collection of vobs to yet another dvd (one of the batch of maxells that had given me the bother). worked fine except the dodgy track is now quite poor quality due to the dvd > video transfer. anyway thanks for the advice people. :thumbsup:

8. BigKidWithPC

BigKidWithPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I tried editing the name of the TDK disks, but the E55 said it didn't like the disk and asked me to change it. There's no pleasing some technology, is there. Instead, I tried some Verbatum DVD-R disks, which worked fine. I hadn't realised DVD recorders were so sensitive to the media make. The TDK DVD-R disks were 1-8x and the Verbatum's were 1-4x.