Quit my job, sold all my stuff and now going travelling!

norealplan

Finally done it!

After ages of deliberating and boring my friends & family by constantly talking about it, I've grown the balls to do it and handed my notice in on my flat and my job. I'll be leaving the UK next month!

I owned a house with my ex fiancée until last year, and now that has sold, I have no woman, no mortgage, no debt and no kids. I've also got money saved and my health, and thought when else am I going to get an opportunity like this?!?

So I've decided I should travel now, while I have no real ties. I’m probably not going to retire until I'm 70/75. So I'm thinking I've still got over 40 years of work ahead of me but not many years where I can just take time out, see the world, experience new things and try and work out where my life is heading and what I actually want to achieve with it.

It's weird after years of saving up and buying the 50" TV, Sonos, Apple Watch blah blah, that now I just want to sell it all to fund new experiences and adventures and live out of a backpack, but I guess that is what is great about life, you never know where you'll be in 5 years. I thought I'd be married and have kids by now!

So yeah that's my news! Thought I'd share!

I'm buying a one way ticket and just taking it country by country, with no real time limit. Looking to do South East Asia, Australasia and South America, so any recommendations of things to do and places to visit are welcomed!

Update!
So far on this trip of 18+ months, I have been to: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Philippines, Malaysia & Borneo, Singapore, Brunei, Indonesia, Holland (long story), Belgium, Nepal, Myanmar (Burma), Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, India, Dubai, Oman, Lebanon, Jordan, Israel and Palestine....

Edit:
Had a lot of mates say about doing a blog/site, so I've quickly set up a site called: no real plan

This is my first ever website I've done so go easy on me! :laugh:

If any of you care to follow me on social media, then Instagram & Twitter are the username "norealplan".

There's also a Facebook page: no real plan
Of course I have no idea how often I'll update and if anyone will care! :facepalm:

Last edited:

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
My brother in law travelled after leaving the navy. He ended up in Australia but the one place he absolutely loved was South America.

Good luck.

simonlewis

They talk funny in south africa, it would be the last place i would want to visit especially with their gun laws and crime.

IronGiant

They talk funny in south africa, it would be the last place i would want to visit especially with their gun laws and crime.
No-one mentioned South Africa, so why bring it up ?

gibbsy

How I envy you. Too late for me. Best of luck.:smashin:

simonlewis

maxwell

Friend of mine did it 30 years ago, he was a park keeper and lodging at my house at the time, came in one Friday and said he had jacked in the job and bought a one way ticket to America, traveled all over the US then South America, Indonesia, New Zealand and finally settled in Australia about 8 years later.

At the time I thought he was mad but now looking back I wish I had gone with him.

Good luck to you and have the time of your life :thumbsup:

HouseTonyStark

Seedy, good to know you went ahead with the plans.

frankly you're a legend. well done lad.

rousetafarian

Go for it... But let us Travel with you. Keep in touch.
Agreed, some of my luckier friends who've taken years out in the past have blogged their travels and it made for good reading. Maybe have a look at travelpod.com?

TravelPod

DVD-Man

Hope you didn't sell your camera, don't be scared to update us from an exotic location.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Fantastic......make the most of your time on earth. We're only here once :)

norealplan

I've had many mates go to South Africa and all have loved it. Yes there's definitely some parts that you wouldn't visit, but I think that could be said about pretty much any city in the UK! One of my mates was mugged out there late at night, but he walked from a bar alone into an area he had already be warned about and where he was told not to go after dark. His response after coming back "My fault, would definitely go to South Africa again. Great country".

Two people I know who are both doctors have just moved out there, doing 30 hour shifts, (yes 30 hours!) and have started a blog: jaggersabroad

The media don't report the 99.99% of good stuff that happens in the world, unfortunately just mostly the bad.

A few years ago I was in Tokyo staring at their complex train system and someone just stopped and helped me without asking. They then apologised for their English not "being perfect" (ironically in perfect English). This may seem so small, but that 5 minute conversation probably saved me hours in the time I was there.

Or the time I was in Fiji and a couple from New Zealand overheard me at the airport discuss accommodation problems as the flight to Auckland I was suppose to be on was cancelled. Without hesitation they came up to me and said I could share their taxi when we eventually got to Auckland, put me up for the night in their house and be my tour guides for the following day.

So many people go out of their way when you're travelling but this sadly gets missed by the media, and instead I'm faced now with the daily question of "Aren't you going to be scared of ISIS when you're travelling?":facepalm:

So in short, at some point I'd love to end up in South Africa!

norealplan

Agreed, some of my luckier friends who've taken years out in the past have blogged their travels and it made for good reading. Maybe have a look at travelpod.com?

TravelPod
Yes quite a few mates have said to me about blogging and want to follow my adventures.

Me and my family worked out that I haven't had a proper Christmas without work interruptions for 16 years. So the plan is have Christmas at my sisters and spend time with my family, but once my nieces go to bed, then I may crack on with getting a blog set up. So if you see me pratting about on here, then tell me to sod off and work on that! :laugh:

Seedy, good to know you went ahead with the plans.

frankly you're a legend. well done lad.
Haha, thanks mate. Good chatting with you a few months ago. Hope your plans all work out!

Hope you didn't sell your camera, don't be scared to update us from an exotic location.
Haha, long story but I've ended up with THREE cameras now. So will sell two, and keep one, along with my GoPro! Yes tech will be joining me on my travels, but I'm determined to let it capture my moments, and me not be on a screen all day. I loved going dark at times when I last did a bit of travelling (which has now given me an itch I fear I will never be able to fully scratch). :facepalm:

HouseTonyStark

Don't think i could 'go dark' for long. not the way my mind is right now anyways

indianwells

Have a fantastic time! One thing I do know is you certainly don't know what's around the corner so live your dreams while you can!

Steve N

Distinguished Member
I'm buying a one way ticket and just taking it country by country........... any recommendations...
Strangely - When buying your ticket you may find it cheaper to buy a return rather than a single.
Even though you won't use the return leg.
Worth asking.

Best of luck :smashin:

booyaka

Good luck - fantastic sounding adventure - enjoy!

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Good on you, many would have that wish but not the bottle to make it happen.

Best of luck and have many experiences of a lifetime.

I'm buying a one way ticket and just taking it country by country, with no real time limit. Looking to do South East Asia, Australasia and South America, so any recommendations of things to do and places to visit are welcomed!
I'd recommend Port Douglas in Queensland Australia. It's basically where the road ends and the rain forest starts. It has a beach, the barrier reef, and the rain forest. Go in the winter to avoid the tourists and just sit outside at Inn on the Inlet eating mud crab and drinking beer. Bliss.

The Dark Horse

Cool, good luck. I could never see the attraction of traveling when I was younger but with hindsight wish I done something similar. Enjoy!!!

GaryB 1978

Distinguished Member
The ding dongs I'm having at work and the political rubbish that goes with it I wonder why/I put up with it, enjoy sounds perfect in every way just wish I had enough pennies saved up to do it, but an expensive wife and two kids means I'll be able to when I'm 99 [emoji15]

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney+ UK introduces GroupWatch co-viewing feature
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published