Quietest Hard disks - my views

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by hoyin, Feb 15, 2005.

1. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I have been on the hunt for the quietest hard disk to use in my PC which I also use as my HTPC.

At the moment I have a quiet Q-Tech PSU, my CPU and both my graphics cards are watercooled using the Zalman Reserator.

So the hunt was on for a quiet Hard disk.

I have IBM, Maxtor, Western Digital, Seagate Barracuda IV and a new Samsung Spinpoint (which I just bought, as a lot of places have reviewed this and said it is the quietest HD).

You can strike Maxtor, IBM and Western Digital straight off your list. The real test is between the Samsung and Seagate.

And my view?

For me the Seagate is quieter. There are more vibrations but these can be dampened. It seems a little noiser, but the noise level is low pitch. The Samsung on the other hand has more of a high pitch noise which I find more noticeable.

However all these noises were heard when I have the HD out of the case about 2cm from my ear. Once in the case they are very very quiet, almost inaudible a part from some occassions when the HD is being accessed sparodically.

The Seagate I have been running in my G4 Apply cube, which is silent and it has been sitting on my bookshelf working away and I do not notice it at all.

I will run the Samsung in my main PC and will continue to monitor it to see how it performs sound wise.

But so far the Seagate is my preferred choice .. in addition I know that all my Seagate HDs have been very reliable, however I do not know how reliable a Samsung is having never had one previously.

I hope this has helped someone! I am happy to hear your experiences and views as well. :smashin:

2. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I came to the same conclusion. Big fan of the Bara IV for years which are very reliable also. When setting up a workstation RAID I went for two spinpoint SATA 80 gigs and they perform admirably. The warranty from Samsung is good and they are regarded as very reliable drives.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The Samsung is living on its' past reputation.

Around 12 months or so ago it got several excellent reviews and people switched from Barracudas, I did myself and was very happy.

Then sometime last summer, August IIRC, they switched to a cheaper motor which was nothing like the one they used before and lots of reports started to appear saying newer drives were awful. AFAIK they never reversed that decision.

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,438
    I've always prefered the Seagate drives to any others I've had.

5. Pbryanw

Pbryanw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Another vote for Seagate, much quieter then my old Maxtor Diamondmax drive.

6. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    My drives are about a year old so happy me..:)

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,082
    I use seagate as well and would recommend them, i have about four, recently i did have a 120gb sata go down after just four months though.

8. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah well I was asking these questions about the Samsung about a week ago before I purchased it .. but no one could give me a definitive answer.

So I bought the Samsung based on other peoples previous reviews.

I wish I had stuck to a Segate. However the drive is not that noisy so I am sure I can live with it.

Like I said I hope this review will help someone who was in a position I was in a week ago and help them make the correct decision.

9. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    3 160gb samsung spinpoints (2 xIDE 1x SATA) sitting in my PC right now and all very quiet thankyou. Now if only I could get around to getting some quiet case fans ! :)

Cheers

Ray

10. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am not saying the Samsung is not quiet .. it is quiet .. very quiet.

But have you got a Segate? Have you compared it to a Segate?

11. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    For what it's worth, I have a Samsung Spinpoint 120Gb ATA 100 and a Seagate Baracuda IV 60Gb drive in my PC right now. Both are very quiet. I'll do a quick defrag on them both and come back with how they compare.

12. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I have seen a few comparisons between the two but it appears that even the SATA and IDE by the same manufacturers are different. The SATA Samsungs are quieter than the IDE ones but I have heard that this is the other way around for Baracudas.

Also the Samsung and Segate have make different noises and are louder when seeking / general rotating.

That said, my SATA Samsung is near enough silent so I am really happy with it :D

13. Supersonic

Supersonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    All done - and I'm afraid it's a draw. They're both very quiet through defrag and I know that they're quiet in normal operation - the noisiest item in my PC is my Radeon 9800 Pro!

I've had more Seagates than Samsungs but neither have let me down yet.

14. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    If you still have the stock cooler on it, you will find that it is easy to silence it.

try this together with the associated fan. I use this on my Radeon 9800 Pro and is now all but silent.

15. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    The new Seagate 7200.8s are supposed to be even noisier than the new Maxtor DiamondMax 10s from what I've read !? And the new Maxtors are supposed to be very quiet in comparison to what they used to be.

I'll be waiting for some SATA2 drives to come out next I think...make full use of that NForce4 chipset :) Hopefully the new drives will be quiet too !

It is a pity Samsung screwed up tho, and also that they never went bigger than 160gb.

16. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    A friend bought a DiamonMax 10 for a SFF machine based on the GB per buck and I have to say it was suprisingly quiet. I have a Maxtor DiamondMax 9 and it is as noisy as hell

You can always buy lots of them :D

17. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    very true :)

18. milanlad

milanlad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I currently have a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250Gb in a Akasa external USB drive enclosure. I think its very noisy and vibrates quite a bit. I do have a Maxtor 120Gb 5400rpm drive also in a Akasa external enclosure, but it seems very quiet (maybe cause its 5400rpm). Neither drive have had the 'Quiet Performance' activated.

19. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I have noticed that the Samsung seems to be noiser when seeking.

YOu can hear a gentle rumble.

I am going to try and suspend it using elastic to see if I can stop the deep rumbling noise.

I'll post my results if they are successful.

20. Ray

Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I have double density foam under and between the samsung HDs in my PC - the sort of stuff that comes in HDD packaging to protect them. This cuts down on any slight noise I find.

Ray

21. milanlad

milanlad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Would this effect cooling of the hard drives?

22. hoyin

hoyin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok if you are interested here is a photo of the Samsung 160GB being suspended in a 5.25" bay using elastic.

I have also added firerated acoustic foam that is used in recording studios and put this above the HD and also below and to the front of the case.

However I have still allowed enough space for the HD to breath and cool down.

It has made a huge amount of difference. I do not hear any of the seeking noise I did before. The computer is completely silent.

I have no fans, everything is watercooled. It is totally silent. I can't even tell if the computer is on.

The noisest thing is my swatch watch!

The inside of the case is a bit of a jumble of wires and tubes etc. But no one is going to see that .. so I am not too bothered.

ahh the silence is bliss.

:smashin:

Attached Files: