Quietest 4k uhd player with dolby vision

blofse

I had a M7500 as first player. I returned it within a week or two due to playback issues and noise.
I wouldn't say its PQ competed with the UB820. If you can't stretch to a UB820, there is the UB450.
I think I remember @Clem_Dye who has one saying it was quiet.
Strange your complaint is noise when my issue with other players is that they are noisy compared with the one I had. I tested my parents one two days ago and it was silent during playback, which is strange compared with a YouTube review of the 820 and it was loud in comparison, but less loud than the 450. So the worry now is I had a good device and others are noisey in comparison for the m7500.

PS as I explained the sale of the m7500, I feel the urge to explain the issue with noise. I'm a bit deaf so machine noise is really loud to me in comparison to other noise (it hits at the mid high range which swamps other ranges to me). Strangely I know when audio is sub par, because it generally hits the mid range more and there is no low or high. Although I can't actually hear high frequencys, I know it's there, and I can hear rediculously low frequencys. So most things mid have to be crystal clear and not too dominant so that I can hear everything else clearly. The same with bass - a well rounded bass and not overpowering works very well for me. So a noisy device usually situated in the mid range auditabitality detracts from my enjoyment and ability to enjoy. So a great quality centre speaker is paramount, and therefore even though I'm deaf, I need audiophile quality to be able to hear correctly and a near silent player. DV / video makes up for the lack of audio, as classic as that sounds with sense removal.

I hope explaining the situation expands on my reasoning for the requirements rather than the oppersit. Cheers.

blofse

Yes, and my 450.
OK so just to be clear. Your saying both drives are quiet? Go here: and from about 6:30 onwards you have the noise comparisons. I would hardly call either of them silent, but I would not call them noisy, but not easy to tell without it being in my house with my house accustics. What are your thoughts?

gibbsy

Listening to that video, which is really hard to tell, both units seem to run at the same level of noise with the 820 having the quieter tray function. Build and materials used is going to play a big part in how any unit sounds and the quality of the tray function and drive again is going to make an impact.

On build quality the chassis with the best build quality is going to be better, the 450 weights a lightweight 1.2kg. The 820 is still very light at 2.2kg. Hence the sound is pretty similar. There is a substantial difference in weight to the ub9000 that is 7.8kg. But it's more than just noise, the heavier the unit the better it will be at suppressing vibration.

Play those side by side with a heavyweight like the 10.3kg Pioneer LX500 and the noise of the Panasonics soon becomes obvious.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
OK so just to be clear. Your saying both drives are quiet? Go here: and from about 6:30 onwards you have the noise comparisons. I would hardly call either of them silent, but I would not call them noisy, but not easy to tell without it being in my house with my house accustics. What are your thoughts?
Yes, I’ve seen the video before, and yes, both my 820 and 450 are quiet. I never hear the fan in the 820, and the drive is inaudible at normal listening distances. Close up I can hear a little noise, but that’s it. My 450 was a bit louder, but I put some rubber feet under the unit to sort that. In both cases, if there is any noise, I don’t notice it. My Sony X700, by comparison, often makes enough noise, especially when starting playback, to be annoying.

blofse

After much posting and questions, I went with a 450. While not silent, it isn't very loud even without dampening the sound. During playback it's pretty damn good, during load and menus etc it's quite loud compared with the m7500. However, all of that now really does not matter because of the stunning audio and video quality of this player - very happy, can recommend.

I have Disney + and did a comparison of guardians of the galaxy 2. In every scene, the bluray blows the stream out of the water. 12bit vs 8bit I suppose, but it's really apparent with just the opening scene where every gunshot is in its full multi coloured glory - which you really do miss on Disney+. Great stuff!

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom