1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quieter Reference Level?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by binbag, May 20, 2005.

1. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    As I've upgraded my speakers bit by bit I've noticed that every time I improve the kit I can listen at comfortably at a higher level on the amps readout - even though it seems the same volume to me.

Is this because:

The new speakers are less harsh - or more bearable at these levels?

The amp can't drive the bigger speakers as hard at the same level?

I've got used to the volume and ear damage is setting in?

Just curious.

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I read somewhere that the better the speakers, the higher volume they can reach without distortion (i knew that bit!), and that the ear naturally distorts when anything is really loud, so if your speakers distort then your ears think they themselves are distorting and tell you to turn it down! Therefore, if your speakers go higher without distorting, you can listen to them at higher volumes without your ears thinking it is too loud.

Just a thought, and it be a combo if this and the other things oyu mentioned, or this may be a bunch of bull!

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It is probably because every time you upgrade your kit you are buying products with less distortion which sets in at a higher level anyway so you are hearing more pure music at higher volume levels and less distortion.

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I agree, my front speakers and sub display very little distortion even at very high volumes and sometimes I find myself listening at far higher levels than i normally would, particularly if it is a good recording.

5. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Additionally, so I've been told, when a system distorts it becomes unstable & throws out erratic, high level peaks, which can damage your ears. So, when improving a systems output, your ears are likely to be recieving less SPL, even at higher volumes, than a hard-driven distorted one.