1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quieter PC components...

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by cerebros, Oct 16, 2004.

1. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all,

Currently looking round for components for a new PC. I'm going to be going the A64 route (socket 939 since that appears to have the most longevity & should support dual core CPU's when then become available), probably the 3500+ or 3800+ depending on what pennies i can scrape together (I'm assuming that now AMD has 90nm CPU's the prices on the chips should drop within the next month or so).

The most intensive task is likely to be image editing, with the odd bit of gaming thrown in as well now and then (currently just Full Spectrum Warrior, CAll of Duty, but will probably give Doom3 or Half-Life 2 a go at some point).

I'm most concerned about making sure my new rig is quiet. My current PC is really bad noise wise (you can hear it in other rooms in the house), so I'm looking for a quiet PSU and a case that does a good job of dampening any vibrations etc.

PSU wise, I've seen that a company called Silentmaxx have some near-fanless PSU's (i.e. they're passive cooling most of the time & fans only kick-in after a certain temperature) but these are well over £100 everywhere I've found them on the 'net. I'm currently considering the Tagan 480W PSU, as quietpc.com list it on their site (albeit at £10 more than elsewhere on the web).

I'm just not sure what to get case-wise. Whatever case i get needs to have enough bays for 2 CD/DVD drives, and 2 internal HD's, plus front sockets for USB & Firewire.

I'm probably oging to look at some alternative cooling options other than the stock CPU fan a few months down the line, but are there any alternatives for GPU's? From what I understand nvidia's cards still need what appears to be a small hair drier to keep cool, which could be annoying as i understand their cards are also the only fully DX9.0c compatible ones about right now.

So, does anyone have any recommendations?

2. ma94jcg

ma94jcg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've already been there (hence my mentioning that they list the Tagan PSU), but I'm looking for stuff that's available everywhere - I like the idea of their Accousticases, but not at £80 a pop.

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The easy (?) is to go water cooling and then the case doesnt really matter. Jeantech's power suplies are usually very quiet. I cant hear mine over the water pump in my rig and I use 3*12cm fans on my rad:D. Its all so quiet. Have a look at www.ebuyer.com for quiet stuff. There is no catagory for it you have to look arround. Look at the Thermaltake silent boost for the K8 as an air cooler to replace the stock cooler. Quiet, cool and cheap:smashin:

5. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Isn't water cooling somewhat expensive?

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    It can be relativly cheap (under £100) to as much as you want to spend really. I think my rigs cost me about £220 all in. Thats with getting some of my componants of fleabay as well:eek:

7. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Had the same problem with my new rig. Its in my dining room and could hear it over the TV at times (in the living room next door) while my children played on it..very annoying. So after some research bought the Antec Smartpower PS and a Speeze Coppersnake processor cooler. This improved it a lot apart from the case fan. However the Antec PS has two fans one right above the processor at the top of my case so I disconnected the case fan and lo and behold the temperatures measured by PCALERT showed cooler temps! Now the unit is 10x quieter and I cannot hear it in my living room even when the TV programme has quiet bits!! Result!

I have used the PC under heavy loads such as DOOM3, DVD writing etc. and the CPU and system stays well within temp limits.

All for £38 for the PS and £9 for the CPU fan.

8. spergabite

spergabite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got a PC for sale which is pretty damn qiuet. Its a coolermaster aluminium 201 case. I have dampened it with acoustic wadding, put in a very queit power supply changed the chipset fan for a zalman heatsink changed the cpu fan to a papst low noise on put a hard disc silncer in and queit a few other tweaks - until i bought my new graphics card it was extrmely queit - watch out for the graphics cards fan they can be very noisy - msi doa card without a fan -its got heat pipes on a 9600xt i believe. I was thinking of selling my PC just recently so if youre intersted pm me - Its got an Asus A7m266 mobo 760mb ram 40gb hdd 1.4 athlon asus 9600xt graphics card audigy 2 sound. You could change the mobo and cpu and that machine would be excellent.

9. spergabite

spergabite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got a PC for sale which is pretty damn qiuet. Its a coolermaster aluminium 201 case. I have dampened it with acoustic wadding, put in a very queit power supply changed the chipset fan for a zalman heatsink changed the cpu fan to a papst low noise on put a hard disc silncer in and queit a few other tweaks - until i bought my new graphics card it was extrmely queit - watch out for the graphics cards fan they can be very noisy - msi doa card without a fan -its got heat pipes on a 9600xt i believe. I was thinking of selling my PC just recently so if youre intersted pm me - Its got an Asus A7m266 mobo 760mb ram 40gb hdd 1.4 athlon asus 9600xt graphics card audigy 2 sound. You could change the mobo and cpu and that machine would be excellent.

10. fish99

fish99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu CPU cooler does a pretty good job of getting rid of your CPU fan noise, and likewise the Arctic Cooling Rev 4 VGA coolers for your video card. Get a fan controller as well. My case has 2*12 cm fans and 1 * 9 cm fan, and to be honest all that air flow isn't needed so I have them slowed down to 1200 rpm (the default is 2000 rpm) with the fan controller and that reduces their sound by probably 90%.

11. PAH

PAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I can recommend trying some accoustic sound-proofing to dampen the internal fan/hard drive noise. My PC noise was still noticable after upgrading the PSU and CPU to similar items already mentioned in this thread, that were a lot better than the original items. I carpeted the 'ceiling' of my PC (it's a desktop style so has a large 'ceiling' area) with some accoustic padding I found at scan.co.uk, and now it's quiet enough to watch movies in the same room without being constantly reminded the PC is on. I suppose it's like when you clear out a room and everything echoes until you put the carpet back in.

The accoustic padding I used was:

scan.co.uk - LN3807 - Akasa PaxMate II Acoustic sound proofing kit - £9.39 (inc vat)

12. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi cerebros,

I used to have an Advent (from PC World) that used to make a racket.

A month ago, I bought and put together the following:

Coolermaster Cavalier 3 - Silver CAV-T03 - chillblast - £66.00
    Tagan TG480-U01 480W Silent PSU - chillblast - £59.00
    Asus A8V Wireless Edition Socket 939 motherboard - chillblast - £76.95
    Athlon 64 3500+ S939 512Kb Box - dabs - £200.84
    Sapphire Radeon X800XT PE 256MB GDDR3*AGP,ATI X800XT PE, VIVO, Full-Retail - komplett - £280.85
    2x512MB 184Pin DIMM PC3200 DDR Non-Parity CL2 2-2-2-5 - komplett - £161.70
    Western Digital Caviar 160GB S-ATA*8MB cache 7200RPM - komplett - £54.47
    Pioneer DVR-108 Double Layer Dual 16x DVD-R/RW - dabs - £49.79
    Sony DDU 1612 - DVD-ROM drive - IDE - komplett - £16.17
    ViewSonic VX910 19" TFT Display Silver - microdirect - £304.95
    Creative Inspire T5900 - komplett - £55.32

I've used standard cooling throughout - nothing apart from the standard case fans, and have to say that it's very quiet. By far the noisiest things are the DVD drives and CDRW drives when they're spinning. I've used AMD's cool n' quiet software too, which regulates the CPU fan depending on load.

The whole rig is very quiet indeed, impressively so, and with additional padding etc, I'm sure you could get it virtually silent.

13. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Do you have dimensions for that PSU? I remembered that I had a spare ATX case in my parents attic, so providing i can fit the Tagan in i won't have to buy a new case, which will be a big plus.

Thanks for mentioning where you bought stuff, that'll come in handy when i'm trying to find the cheapest place.

I'm currently having to delay the upgrade as I've had to have work done on my car, and now I've got to get some fillings done (bloody private dentistry! :mad: ), so I'm even more in need of shaving a few pounds off the upgarde price here or there if I can, espcially with Christmas coming up.

On the bright side, since the 90nm A64's should be hitting the stores about now, hopefully the price of the 3500+ will be coming down...

14. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi mate,

Size is 150mm x 80mm x 160mm (found here)

Also, some of the prices are indeed falling, even in the last month.

(note those prices are ex VAT and delivery)

And I couldn't be arsed to wait any longer in the UK for the X800 XT PE - so I cancelled my order from komplett (£330) and paid £409 to get one from the USA!!!

Cheers.

15. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    eek! That's a heck of a lot of money for a gfx card... I'm going to be re-using my Ti4600 for the time being, as I'm mainly just interested in speeding up image editing rather than gaming at the moment

thanks for the dimensions