1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quietening a Radeon ?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by paulfoley, Mar 11, 2005.

1. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I have just installed a Shuttle PC & Widescreen LCD into my bedroom for Gaming & DVD Playback. I chose the Radeon 9800 Pro as it seemed to offer the best of both worlds, didnt realise it was so loud with the stock fan. Is there any way of quietening it during DVD Playback i.e. in 2D mode without modding the hardware? I dont want to change or install any thirdparty fans. Wondering if there is a simple utility I can install to lower the fanspeed for DVD's & then up it to normal when running HL2, Doom 3, etc?

:thumbsup:

2. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul,

If the PC has built in graphics, you might be able to use that instead for DVD playback.

If not, then a mod may be the only answer. The heat has to go somewhere so the only way to silence the card would be to replace the fan with a heatsink..

I'm considering getting a heat sink from www.quietpc.com to silence the ATI X700 in my Shuttle.

3. mrmoo

mrmoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Look for a program called ATITool. You may be able to set the fan speed for different temperatures. I can on my x800.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    The arctic silencer is very quiet , I have one on my 9800pro and you can hardly hear it . Its cheap (10quid or therabouts) easy to fit (5 min job) and actually cools better than the stock fan and heatsink. Two switchable settings (high and low) . Low has always been fine for mine even when running HL2 and Doom3.

It will take up the pci slot next to the agp port though ( the stock one might well anyway). It also provides some extra exhaust for the case and you should find it benefits temps all round.

Honestly the best easiest solution for you , don't hesitate.

5. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    What exactly would be involved in fitting it ? My AGP Slot is on the edge of my M'Board - How much wider is the Arctic compared to the Stock ?

:thumbsup:

6. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga1.php

Don't have my original pro cooler to hand but looking at the cooler on my XT its about the same size of the arctic anyway ( it does use the next slot down though.

you can find them for about 10 quid ( scan spring to mind) so it might be worthwhile giving it a go anyway at that price. Some manufacturer's offer cards with them already fitted (powercolor are one I think) see if you can find one that shows you a picture online

its simply a case of unscrewing and undoing a couple of retaining clips. Its not difficult.

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149