Quiet VCR

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Torque, Jun 14, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Torque

Torque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to replace my old VCR, and I'm keen to get one that is quiet while recording, especially when it starts and stops. The TV/VCR setup lives in our bedroom and our current one is noisy enough to wake us up when it stops recording, so I don't tape late night stuff anymore. It's quite old - is this likely to be an issue with a modern machine or not? If so, are there any makes that have a reputation for being quieter than most? Any rumours or gossip much appreciated.

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Most modern VCR's are a lot quiter than they used to be. The main noisy areas should only really be the insertion and ejection (is that even a word :confused:) of tapes. I don't think there is any kind of guide out there to help you but speaking from personal experience, my Loewe VCR is a little quiter than my Akai. Both machines are mid-range (£250-£300) decks. Budget models may be a little noisier. :)

3. Pete Callan

Pete Callan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll see a thread from a few weeks ago that I bought a Sony SE820 and although it had all the features I wanted and seemed to do the job well, I had to take it back the next day because of the incredibly loud background hissing sound it made all the time (unless it was in shutdown mode). Fortunately I bought from JL so I could get a refund easily enough.

My current VCR is a 3 year old Panasonic and although it is very quiet, it has serious problems so now needs replacement. I'm going to go with Panny again, and just assume my current machine was a Friday afternoon model!

4. Torque

Torque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback, both of you. I'm interested to hear your comment about the Panny, Pete - I have been thinking about the NV-HS860B. Not much said about it on this forum, which may be a good sign, of course. :rolleyes: What model do you have? Let us know the results of the swap. Groundy, I hadn't thought about a Loewe at all, but given that I'm getting a Loewe TV I'll definitely look into it.

If anyone has other suggestions I'd be pleased to hear them. My budget is around 250-350, and I want it mostly to play my old tapes and backup stuff off my soon-to-be-purchased Tivo (at least until the DVD-Rs standardise). Apart from quiet, I'd like to have a good range of slowmo, fast forward and freeze frame functions, and good quality recording and playback of grotty old tapes. Library system nice-to-have but not essential.

Given that most of the recording it will do is to backup Tivo programmes that I want to keep, is there any merit in going for S-VHS? I've read elsewhere on this forum that you loose some quality going from Tivo to VCR - would using S-VHS make that better or just be a waste?

5. AAA

AAA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can buy now just discontinued top end models(which ARE better made than the newer ones!...) from Panasonic 860, 960 and JVC 9700 for arround £300.

I went for JVC HR S9700. Very little noise when inserting, stop, play the tape. Noise when plays, but I beleive this is normal, you can't have a mechanics withou any noise...

Anybody who has compared the noise out of top end VHRs, Please elaborate...!

Regards,

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still use an old Ferguson Videostar FV77HV (which has the Thomson name branded on it as well). It's very quiet in operation - only the faintest of noises while it's playing and a very silenced rew and ff :) (It's become even quieter recently because I hardly ever use it :p)