1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quiet speach on my DHT-500SD

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by uk_saw, Jan 10, 2005.

1. uk_saw

uk_saw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ,

I have a Denon DHT-500SD and I am having some issues with speach volumes when watching DVD's. I have tried a few different settings , DTS and the different dolby's, but the speach volume always seems to be far lower than any other sound.

It means I am having to turn the volume up to around 50 just to hear what people are saying but when there are huge explosions or effect noises I have to turn the volume down to stop my ears bursting.

Can anyone let me know what I may be doing wrong or do I have a fault?

thanks for any advice as it's getting annoying constantly adjusting the sound.

Steve :confused:

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Into the setup menu Steve. You'll find separate settings for each speaker. Use the test sound and basically just bump up the level on the centre speaker.
    This has to be done whilst not playing a DVD.

Now start a DVD and adjust the level of the bass using the handset. Back it off to 0. Press this button again and increase the level of the Treble a bit.

Ler us know how it goes.

Jimmy

3. uk_saw

uk_saw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will give that a go when I get in tonight. Really appreciate the advice.
    I am a complete amateur on these things.

:)

4. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    While you're fiddling around with the channel levels some reviews recommend knocking the subs level back by as much as -6 (compared to the other speakers outputs) makes a more convincing sound stage - left at the defaults the comment was that the sub "bullied" the other speakers.

Another thing to try is to change the subs cross-over from the factory default of 150Hz to 120Hz. I've tried both 150Hz and 120Hz and although there's not much in it I think the 120Hz is better - this might be personal though.

Finally, I initially found that the fan noise that kicked in at the volume setting of 45 was a tad irritating but following advice found on this forum I increased the channel settings of all the satellites speakers to +10 and set the subs channel at +5. DVD's now play louder and I only occasionally have to have the volume at 45 and over plus the subs bass sounds better placed.

I just thought I'd offer up these as things to try, they're probably personal to my ears/room size but you might find something in there.

Let us know

Nathan

5. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Just to confirm what Nathan has said.
    I have copied his settings on my unit (hope he doesn't mind!!) and find that sound is now spot on.
    All speaker channels now set at +10, subwoofer at +5.
    Have kept the crossover at 150Hz though.
    If you are still having problems with the centre speaker I suppose you could always go fronts and surrounds +5, sub +2 and centre +10?
    HTH
    Rob

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Dropping the Sub crossover to 120Hz will leave a mid-range hole where the Satellites give up the ghost.

Everything else Nathan says makes sense.

Jimmy

7. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Jimsan

I'm interested in what you say regarding the crossover as I'm not totally clear on it myself.

I figured that as the satellite speakers have a range beginning at 120Hz that setting the subs crossover at 120Hz would mean all the frequencies below that would be taken care of by the sub - anything above 120Hz, where the speakers frequency range begins, would then be taken care of by the satellites.

I discussed this with one of our audio engineers at work and he thought that this made sense and having it set at 150Hz could result in the satellite speakers sounding slightly treble biased (I might not have explained it well to him).

Would gladly welcome your comments and thoughts on my conclusions and also explain this mid range hole you mentioned.

Cheers

Nathan

8. uk_saw

uk_saw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your advice guys I will let you know how it goes.

9. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Nathan,

Yes, the satellites do, in theory, produce sound down to 120hz. But, due in part to the size of the drive units, they can't hope to do much with it. In reality, the system really needs larger front stereo speakers which can properly cope with lower mid range frequencies. This then would allow you to reduce the top frequency to 120Hz or even lower. I personally don't like Subs working as high as the wee Denons have to.

Anyway, the 'hole' is there. You really only notice it when you hear a system that has genuine lower mid-range power. It lacks real 'guts'.

Don't get me wrong, this Denon is fantastic. But it can be improved on. I fancy replacing the front stereo speakers with some medium sized Floor Standers and then using the spare satellites as rear surrounds to make it a full 7.1 system! Will need a power amp though.

For the money, the Denon is untouchable, but part of the beauty of it is that it is a fantastic Amp/Receiver which can easily handle expansion.

Jimmy

10. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for that. The crossover point has been a bit of an anal niggle for me and what you say makes good sense. I had wondered how effective the stated 120Hz range of the satellites were as it is the absolute far end of the speakers performance.

I know what you mean about the subs crossover having to be set quite high but as you state, the Denon is a great sounding piece of kit and anyone purchasing a system at this price point will not be disappointed.

Anyway, thanks for your comments, since I put in my initial posting I'd already e-mailed Denon for their take on it and will post any reply I receive.

Cheers

Nathan

11. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    As promised, here's the quick response from Denon.

Dear Sir

In theory you can set the sub to where the satellite speakers stop (120Hz) and therefore frequencies below that point are handled by the sub.

What actually happens is something called roll-off, where frequencies above the set frequencies are sent to the sub but at ever decreasing volume levels.

So you if set to 120Hz you will still be able to measure frequencies above this but the volume will be less.

Best regards,

Product Support

EM 11/1/2005

Also, had another chat with a different audio engineer and explained the cross-over more eloquently and he reckons that the 150Hz crossover setting is probably the better of the two.