1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiet/Silent disk

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by davemacrae, Aug 30, 2005.

1. davemacrae

davemacrae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The final component I need to decide upon for my HTPC is the disk drive.

Anyone got any recommendations for a 300Gb HD that is really quiet. This will be going into a Shuttle SB83G5M case so should be SATA. I'm not sure if the MB supports SATA II.

Thanks

Dave

2. rdhir

rdhir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am quite pleased with the latest WD 320GB JB. But good things are said about the samsung spinpoint.

3. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung Spinpoints are the quietest. They don't do a 300Gb version yet though AFIAK. 250Gb available though

4. davemacrae

davemacrae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the Spinpoint 250 was SATA II. Does this really matter or will it work with the a normal SATA controller?

Dave

5. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It will work with a normal SATA controller

6. davemacrae

davemacrae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm now off to spend a grand :)

7. derekokeeffe

derekokeeffe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes I can recommend the samsung spinpoint.
    I just got the 120GB version last week and its very silent.
    I didnt get a bigger one as I didnt want to spend a grand :) but actually I've ended up spending almost a grand :thumbsup:

8. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Dave,

Just a quick word of caution, when you say quiet, what exactly are you expecting?

I only ask as a year or so ago I built my HCPC and spec'd samsung spinpoint SATA drives for it. Now my system is completely SILENT, as in you can't tell whether its on or not without looking at the power light. In this context the spinpoint drives that I had were certainly not quiet, they were pretty whiney and could be heard across the room, they had very little seek noise but a constant high pitched whine.

For me at my ~10' seating position this was not acceptable so in the end I had to swap them out for an old 40GB seagate barracuda IV (from ebay). Now this drive is silent, it has a little seek noise which I have no problem with but absolutely no idle-whine.

Just though I'd mention this as if you want a truly "silent" PC rather than just a "quiet" one you may need to look elsewhere.

9. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really? I can't hear my spinspoints at all (sit about 5-6' from HTPC). Did you try any sort of rubber mounts to stop vibrations through the case (I packed foam down the side of mine in between the drive and the drivebay)

10. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I believe there is some variation between them, there was a long thread on www.silentpcreview.com at the time in which people tried to work out how to tell which ones were quiet and which weren't. I don't remember there ebing a satisfactory conclusion to it, I think it's just down to luck whether they whine or not.

I had an 80Gb and 160Gb drive with different motor manufacturers and they were both far too loud for me. even when not fully installed but supported on packing foam you could clearly hear them. I relegated them to a desktop PC upstairs and went for the barracuda IV, never looked back.

Not sure what I'd do now as it must be even harder to get hold of these discontinued barracudas now. Maybe think about one of the toshiba notebook drives, they're meant to be pretty silent.

11. sennen

sennen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've had experience of a couple of spinpoints, an 80GB that whined and a 160GB that didn't - but made the case vibrate, instead! The spinpoints do, however, run fairly cool - so you can put them in a silencing enclosure if you have room and your case airflow is good. I tried the Scythe enclosure from quietpc.com - this worked great for the whining drive, but did not help the vibrating one much.

12. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,387
    if you've got decent airflow/extraction in your case, and drives that don't run too warm, one of these should do the biz... :devil:

i run one with my 250gb Seagates ( which were quiet anyway, but I just liked the looks of it! :D )

13. bigdic

bigdic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    On the subject, I'm building an HTPC just now and settled on the Spinpoint 250g.

Could someone please tell me the difference between SATAII and SATA?

The drive is SATAII but most motherboards I've looked at only have SATA, would there be any benefit in getting a SATAII mb?

14. OneEleven

OneEleven

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SATAII has a quicker interface than SATA (3Gb/s V 1.5Gb/s). I don't think this is much of an issue yet as the drives don't get anywhere near 1.5Gb/s throughput anyway. I think there are some other bits and pieces like Native Command Queuing, but that's about it

15. bigdic

bigdic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that, I was having real trouble finding out the difference (what with me being slow).

I'v heard about Native Command Queuing, doesn't that make quite a big difference?

Sorry 'bout all the qestions but I really want to get it right and buy the right MB.

16. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    NCQ can make a difference depending on what you're doing (lost of multitaking disk read/writes)
    Some benchmarking software can make the difference using NCQ look huge, others make the difference negligable.
    Don't expect more than a 5% performance increase in real world disk performance

17. bigdic

bigdic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that, you've saved me a lot of cash and hassle.

I'll only be using the system for recording TV, playing DVD's etc so.

18. tinoest

tinoest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The quietest drive that I find are the Seagate IV and Barracuda,
    WD are also very quiet. Samsung are a bit hit and miss Ive been lucky with mine.