Quiet room-cooling?

tjobbins

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering what products are out there to cool a room quietly?

My HC room is small - 10'x11' - and I am finding it incredibly hot. I have 4 power amps, a PC and a projector running. Even with the window open it is very warm.

Fans are likely to be out due to noise. Air conditioning I think also makes a hum, plus I would need to run a house out of the window somehow, plus I think they tend to be fairly large. Are there any other solutions?

Thanks

Tom

Well all I can say from experience is, invest in an air conditioner for your entire house. Even if it takes you a while to save up for it. We've been getting hot at my house (expessially my home cinema room), we decided to get air conditioning and we are waiting for a retired guy to install it for us when he has time (costs about half as much for us).

If you put the actual unit as far away from your bedroom and home cinema room, you shouldn't be able to hear anything.

Hope that helps...

Ryan

hi Tom,

AC in this country is getting a lot more affordable and mainstream these days. you can get a DIY setup from B&Q which costs about £600 for the quiet in-room unit and pipes connecting it to the outdoor refrigerator unit. might be worth a look.

Move as much of the heat generating equipment out of the room as possible + build a hush box around the projector with air extracts.

I used to have major problems with heat in the room as well, but I moved all the AV gear out of the room (just run longer cables through the floor/wall etc. and use a remote extender) and built a hush box for the PJ and it's fine now. Have only got the TV + CRT PJ + speakers in the room now. Looks much better as well. :)

turn heaters off (seriously people leave them on)

I was considering moving power amps to another room too...just keep dvd player in the room.A crt projector and amps kick about about 2000w ..each person in the cinema emits about 700w too so it all adds up!! If aircon is installed then you may get away with a smaller cheaper unit this way.I have not heard how much noise aircon units emit but i imagine the cheaper ones may make a sony 1292 projecter sound quiet!!I imagine it is tricky to hear them running before purchase.A friend recently purchased a b&q 2 part aircon unit so i must see how it sounds.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom