Quiet PSU

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by jaydee999, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    I have a Seasonic S12 380W on my current PC and it's a fab PSU, very quiet and have had no problems with it.

If I were to buy another though I'd probably go for a Corsair in terms of value for money!

2. Brausch

Brausch
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
  3. jaydee999

jaydee999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just seen the review of the Corsairs on spcr website, and they give it reviews as good as Seasonic S (and better than the M because the M has the extra fan which makes it louder IF it kicks in). Looks like I need to buy at ebuyer before the Google check out deal finishes..............

Thanks to everyone :thumbsup:

4. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    I have had the corsair for over a month now and I am very pleased with it. Its silent, powers everything and hasnt blown up. Which is all you can ask from a psu. ;)

Happy shopping Jaydee :smashin:

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    Was going to order a Coolermaster iGreen 500W, but opted to go for the Corsair HX 520 for an extra £12 in the end. It's probably overkill for my system, but at least this way I won't have to worry about powering my future gfx card purchase.

6. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Nice one Tej. I am sure you will be happy with it.

7. jaydee999

jaydee999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, I've been and went and gone and ordered it along with some other stuff to get the Google Checkout discount and the free delivery. I'll let you know how happy my ears are once it's installed.

8. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Jaydee999

I'm still very happy with mine. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Cheers, Gerald

9. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    I'm not sure where you ordered it from but the HX 520 was cheaper from play.com (£59.99 incl a voucher) than ebuyer - plus a great quidco discount too!

10. jaydee999

jaydee999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well boys, my Corsair is not silent. I can hear it when I'm sat 3 metres away on the sofa.
    The PSU I temporarily nicked from my study PC is quieter than this Corsair,and that was a "no brand" that I picked up at a computer fair. I think it's fair to say that I'm disappointed.:(

11. Keyman

Keyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The noise of a PSU is created by the fan within as we all know, this is a combination of mostly the motor sound and a little from the wind cut through the grill.

The tricks in design required to lower the noise wihtin a PSU:
    1. The use of a less noisy motor on the fan.
    2. The use of a larger fan, 120mm one at the bottom of the PSU rather than 80mm on the back (can spin less to get through the same amount of air flow)
    3. The incooperation of a high efficency circuitry design. (high efficency = less waste heat = fan does not have to work as hard)
    4. Sensible fan speed control (Some varying speed control can make it worst as a constant sound is sometimes more bearable than one comes and goes)
    5. I tend to ignore a lot of technical noise DB data given by manufacturer, not as if they are not accurate, but some high winding pitch can be more annoying and therefore DB is only one part of the equation for me.

Listed from the points above, thererfore you should have choose a PSU with high efficency with a large fan. Also the higher end ball bearing fans maybe/can be noiser than the sleeve type.

In real life, it is also a bit of pot luck as manufacturing process does not create millions of exactly the same items (i.e. same model, one car can be noisy than another), however by choosing a reputable manufacturer will lower the risk of the problem as they have better and tighter control.

In your scenario I certainly would not keep on using the cheap pack from computer fair, as this can have a negative effects on your PC and electric bill in a long run. If noise was that important, the only way is to buy a good model from a high street store and ask before purchase if they would exchange if it is noisy. I personally like the FSP and the FSP Green power 400W get my vote, but because the lack of interest in UK for paying extra money for green from general public (surprise surprise), this model has been discountiued by FSP UK. However as I mentioned there are many alternatives (large fan, high efficiency).

12. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    That's strange as my PC was silent before I'd stuck a X1950Pro gfx card into it. I could hardly hear it with the PC sat underneath the desk, let alone three metres away!

13. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    I think Tejstar, the Corsairs are a bit more variable than was intially thought. I must admit I'm pretty disappointed with mine. It's 12 volt rail isn't that fab, even allowing for it being a BIOS reading, it runs fairly hot, whereas everywhere I read it says it's not supposed to, and it's not that quiet either. Because of the one fan configuration it doesn't expel as much heat as an 'old fashioned' PSU, and my case and CPU temps have each risen by 2-4 degrees C. I've seen a few punters making similar comments on other forums.

Tbh I'm thinking of dumping it on Ebay and putting my old 480 watt Enermax back in. :eek:

14. jaydee999

jaydee999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Overkill, I'm sat here wondering how much consolation it is that I'm not the only one..........:)

Keyman: I did all that: there's 3 pages here of much appreciated input from members, some of whom are more than happy with their Corsairs: and although a new "brand" of PSU, its pedigree is very decent, with high efficiency and large fan. I guess it's a case of your pot luck ruling here.:(

Back to Page 1 to read up on the other options again.....................:rolleyes:

15. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Jaydee, it may have been input before, but have you looked at the Fanless options like the Zalman etc? Go to 'QuietPC' and have a look.

16. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    Well, it seems I may have been a lucky then. Although, chatter on other boards doesn't seem to suggest that the Corsairs are unreliable.

I can honestly say that my Corsair was not any louder than the Seasonic S12 I have, but if you guys are having problems then there might be a bad bunch out there...

17. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Don't think you're 'lucky' Tejstar. The Corsair is getting good feedback overall, although I notice most of that is for the HX620.

On the bad batch, I don't know as the other users with loudness/low 12 volt comments are spread over a few months.

With any new product, there will be a few 'odd ones' out there.

Besides I'm getting that 'do you feel unlucky punk' vibe!:D I've bought a new HDD (noisy bugger - but this one isn't normally!) a PSU that isn't as good as the norm, and a new VGA fan that is, well, crap, all in a run!

I bought an Accelero X1 to replace my existing VGA cooler, for noise, rather than heat issues, I hasten to add, and what a waste of money. The memory heatsink pads are too deep, so, when you tighten the screws the contact is poor as a result. If you tighten any more the board actually distorts! I tried it anyway, and the temps were still nowhere near as good as the stock. :rolleyes: Whereas they are supposed to knock two degrees off............ Result, old heatsink back on.

What a gyp! :rolleyes:

Anyone seen a smashed mirror around the house..........

18. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,151
    Oh dear, you do seem to be under a grey colud at the moment! :eek:

19. jaydee999

jaydee999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Overkill, fanless has, yes. But budget was playing a part in the decision as well. Might have to bite the bullet on that one.

20. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Pull apart your existing PSU, connect two fans in series.
    They each run at 1/2 speed but move the same amount of air and are almost silent.

Cost ..... £1 for the second fan

21. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Have a look on Ebay. The Zalmans do come up. The problem is the eternal one, the trade off between noise and heat. Some of these were bought for standard PC's, and 'surprise', when PC gamers drive them hard case temps go up.............. and they dump them. Well duh! :rolleyes: For an HTPC they are ideal though.