1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiet PC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by fabryuk, Mar 31, 2002.

1. fabryuk

fabryuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been doing a bit of research of gettingthe PC as quiet as possible. Obviously I don't want to spend to much. For HSF a found below:

SoA Volcano 7+ from Thermaltake form dabs (17 from dabs)
    Zalman CNPS 6000 from overclockers (35.02)
    Thermalright AX-7 from overclockers using papst fan (34.02+fan)
    Silverado Noise Control from chillblast £44.99
    Zalman 5100+ Flower

Obviously the Volcano 7+ is the cheapest, and plan to set it the lowest fan speed. Of all the HSF above, I think noise control is probabaly the quiettest (see review from tomshardware), of course the AX-7 is extremely effective irrrespectively of the fan use (saw it in review). I think I will try to buy Volcano first to see how it is.

Second consideration is PSU, very hardware to find review about the sound it generate. Found a excellent review on QuietPC PSU 300W. but I am concern about the power rating, can anyone help me what is the maximum CPU u have using 300W? I plan to use at least AMD 1700+.

Also found Enermax, the whisper model is expensive, I think I saw it in avsforum saying is not as quiet as it seems. Compare to QuietPC, which one do u prefer??

Any other suggestion about PSU would be helpful (& where to get in UK)

Last but not least, do you think it is possible to change the fan of Radeon 7500 to fanless heatsink eg. from Zalman. I am afraid that my crad will overheat

Last question, what did you do to make your PC quiet??

2. Hoglet

Hoglet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The Quiet PC power supply can be bought from:
    http://www.quietpc.com
    which is actually UK based.

Other ideas for a Quiet PC:

The Seagate Barracuda IV hard drives are virtually silent. They are widely available.

The Lite-On LTD-163 DVD drive slows down to 1x speed when playing DVDs. Again, virtually silent. There is also a utility available to make it multi-region, and this does not involve re-flashing the firmware.

--- Dave

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a quietpc 300W PSU and can highly recommend it. It's well built and extrememly quiet. Not sure about processors of that speed but I would have thought it would have more to do with the motherboard you are using as the CPU uses very little power.

As for cooling your graphics card, QuietPC have some card coolers but I'm not sure on the one you mention. Out of interest, the fan on my TNT2 was so noisy I just disconected it and it ran fine, even in long Quake sessions.

S

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,118
    I started a thread a little while ago on this very subject because although I my htpc doesn't bother me when a film is playing, I was wondering if I could quieten it down cheaply.

Here's what I did:

My CPU is a Duron 950 (more than enough for htpc DVD and DScaler), so I fitted a www.quietpc.co.uk radial fin cooler (£20 +vat) the bigger one has the same fan but a bigger heat sink.

I replaced the 300w PSU fan (noisiest component) with a quietpc case fan (Papst) which is a direct replacement. This made the biggest difference.

Noise level dropped from 45+dbs at idle to less than 40 (my spl only goes down to 40). The Pioneer 104s brings the noise level up to 42dbs when a film is playing.

Using a Liteon 163 is quiter still (yet to do a sound measurement), and I've just got a Seagate Barracuda to replace the old 6.3gig Fujitsu drive.

HTH

Gary.

5. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, the new hard drives are so much quieter than those of 12 months ago. My new Maxtor is almost silent, even when reading.

6. fabryuk

fabryuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary, which size of Papst fan did you use? Quietpc does no sell any papst fan anymore, but they do sell CPU.

7. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,973
    My QuietPC PSU runs an Athlon 1600+, 2 HDD's and DVD drive without any probs.
    As for the heatsink, I've not looked into the model you are talking about but the flower cooler from QuietPC is superb. You might save money in the long run if you buy this in the first place.

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,118
    Hi Fabryuk,

www.quietpc.com do sell Papst fans, they just don't advertise it as such - the case fan I got for my PSU was the 80mm case fan for £14 + vat.

HTH

Gary.

9. fabryuk

fabryuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gary, I think ocUK also sell Papst fan