1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiet full size HTPC or shuttle HTPC?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DEANO-B, Nov 1, 2004.

1. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a HTPC which is noisy (CPU fan and PSU). Now I've found a quiet CPU fan - Thermaltake A1889 SilentBoost £23.56 with a claimed 21db, and a quiet PSU - 350W Hiper HPU3S350
    £19.93 with a claimed 18db noise level. I know you can get quiter parts but these seem a cheap comprise. So 2 questions:-

1: - Are these figures idle figures (when PC is not busy), or max (when PC is pushed)

2: - Would a mini all in one HTPC be quieter (without going silly expensive), like a base Mentor Barebone - AMD Black Alu MPC-NF2 from http://195.224.29.130/cgi-bin/Light.storefront/en/Catalog/1003

I would rather go the full size PC route as I can upgrade easier.

Anyway any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The specs of the A1889 only give one noise level so that seems reasonable to presume that's flat-out, with some sort of thermal control such as the ASUS Q-Fan feature you would expect somewhat quieter operation under normal load .. 'fraid I don't know about the PSU.

Fans make two types of sound, the obvious air-movement 'rush' and potentially a 'buzzing' sound caused by the bearings. I use Silenx fans which have very low noise ratings, but the buzz at full speed can still be annoying.

That said, 21dba is on the low side, one benefit of that cooler is that it uses an 80mm fan.

Barebones systems can be very noisy when pushed, I had a Shuttle and it's pretty quiet when idle but start to push it and it gets loud quickly. The PSUs in these things can be a bugbear, being small they use small fans that have to spin quickly to push air .. and the upgrade path is another issue as you note.

3. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be careful using a SFF for an HTPC if you want dual TV tuner functionality within MCE2005. Most shuttles don't have room for 2 X PCI cards and an AGP or PCI-e for a MCE2005 compatible video card. So far MS haven't approved any integrated video for MCE2005 which means that even dual PCI SFFs with integrated video are still a problem.

4. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just an update on my PC. I decided not not go for the Thermaltake A1889 SilentBoost £23.56, but went for the Thermaltake TT-TR2-M3, Suitable for up to 3400+ ,£ 6.18 ex VAT, £ 7.26 inc VAT as it is 21db and a third of the price. I have to admit to being a bit worried of the claimed db rating, but got home and to my relief - a really quiet PC. No need to change my 400W PSU as it is quite enough (couldn't tell how noisy it was with the old fan churning away!). So I'd go for a cheap quiet CPU fan and PSU, as it's as quiet, if not quieter, than my mates small shuttle!

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's a good price for a quiet fan .. Shuttles have their uses but most of them haven't had silence as part of their prime design criteria.