1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiet fan mod - Northern boys interested?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by NickBull, Mar 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any of the Northern bretheren interested in Rolands fan mod? It would cut down on costs if he came up to do a few rather than a few one offs.

Not even sure it's been fully tested yet. If you need a guinea pig Roland I'll volunteer my preciour Barco to try it on. I'll even let yuou try it on there for FREE!!!!!:D :D :D

Seriously, anyone interested?

When will it be ready Roland?

Nick

2. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am sure Roland knows of my interest but again I will confirm it - I'm in Hartlepool 12 miles North of Middlesborough

3. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I'm having the quiet fan mod to my Barcodata 808s next week.
    So Roland will be in Manchester etc, so anybody fancing it done should give him a bell!.

4. fatrich

fatrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I would be intersted Nick and i only live 20 minutes apart!!!
    (anyone got an idea on cost)
    regards

richard

5. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    Yep, I'm interested (depending on cost)
    Have you had a quote yet Paul?

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Exactly how load is an 808s? Some people say very quiet, other say very noisy. Noone seams top know the db rating. A Cine 8 is 32db which sounds good to me but a Cine 7 is 43db, which is what? about 10 x louder. I'm a bit concerned, I hate projector noise and I like to watch movies at moderate volumes (about ref - 25db)

Cheers,

Jeff

7. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    My sound meter doesn't go low enough but it's (808) definitely audible at low volumes. It's very low pitched though so it's easier to ignore than some fixed panel projectors I've heard.

I tend to not notice it through most films but then suddenly become aware of it and can't get it out of my head for a few minutes!

I await Roland/Paul to inform us of the difference the mod makes

8. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't tell you how loud in comparison, a difference having it at home compared to the LCD's a tried at dealers.

My main problem is that I watch films quietly once Liz (our Lass) has gone to bed. At normal volumes I don't find it a problem apart from really quiet scenes.

I have a Quiet PC PSU and CPU fan, and replaced the nothbridge fan with a Heat sink in my HTPC and the Projector is just a bit louder than when the PC is playing a DVD (with the pioneer speed control activated).

Did i see somewhere that the Fan Mod was being added to all of Rolands Reconditioned pj's?

Alternatively you couls get a 1209 which I think is supposed to be even quieter!!!!!!

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Fullabeer is going to be a bit of a pilot as he will be the first I have done on site. So I don't want to do a whole batch just yet. but I'm up for doing a batch once I'm happy.

There are essentially two parts to this mod. The fans themselves get worn. so its a simple replacement with quiter more efficeint models
    (Simple that is apart from the skin being removed from your knuckles as you try to get those rubber mounts off. (if I ever get in a room with the Belgium that chose those it could be interesting).
    The next part has been a bit of trial and error. Barco had to design the chassis so that it could work up to its maximum frequency and not over heat. very few HC users take their projectors to this level and together with a bit of safety built into the system it is possible to slow the fans a little. It is important that they are not slowed too much or they may not start spinning at all. There is no over temperature cut out on the 808 series like their is on the 708 series.

I am working on a very serious modification to the 708 series which sould halve the noise.

If I could just find more time in the day I could get these things done.

P.S. The fans in the 808 - Cine 8 and 708 - Cine 7 are the same so volumes should be similar.

10. Nick Beecham

Nick Beecham
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Roland

Isn't it strange that replacing the fans in a Barco can quite it down whereas replacing the fans in my Marquee 7500 only made it louder.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how your hush box solution works. As far as I'm concerned, the more sound insulation, the better - perhaps a combination of foam AND acoustic tiles.

Hope your skiing holiday went well.

All the best
    Nick

11. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I checked again and Gordon confirms that these are the correct fan types we were using.

The quetening down of a very quite projector is not always as easy as it seems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.