1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiet DVD-Rom and HDD

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Rob100, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Hi all,

I know there are other (older) posts on this, but I was hoping for "the latest" opinion on this one.

I was all set on getting a Samsung Spinpoint until I read that newer drives are noisier - now I don't know what to get?

I really have any idea on the DVD-Rom. Is it not possible to get a DVD-Rom drive that's as quiet as a standalone player? At the moment I always copy the movie to my HDD before watching just so I don't have to put up with the noise of the drive.

Any advice/comments welcomed (please).

Thanks in advance.

Rob.

2. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Samsung Spinpoint bought based on reviews and its very quiet, the seek noise is so faint i was amazed at the difference even from a baracuda that i took from my sisters PC

very very quiet

DVD Rom however they are all noisy that i have come across, i liked the feature of the plextor 716A DVD Writer where you could set a max read speed to make it nice and quiet wish there was tools like this for any drive as i got rid of the 716A after too many problems

3. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Okay, maybe I'll give a Spinpoint a go. If its still noisier than I'd hoped for then I could get an acoustic case/cooler for it from QuietPC.

The hunt for a quiet DVD-Rom goes on... My Plextor CD writer has a facility like to describe using Plextools.

Thanks for the input.

Rob.

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    The new seagate barracuda drives claim to be the quietest available on the market, and they go up to 400gb capacity. I am waiting for pay day to buy a 300gb one, only about £120, and will be interested to see how it compares to my Samsung Spinpoint 160gb, which is very quiet (inaudible)
    lisa

5. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Okay thanks. I think I'll go ahead and order a Spinpoint.

Why is it so hard to get a quiet DVD rom drive?

If I was to go to Tesco's and buy a £30 DVD player the drive would be inaudible, so why not a PC DVD rom drive?

Crazy...

6. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess its because DVD players are designed to only spin the disk so fast and therfore very quiet DVD-ROMS seem to spin the disk much faster than it really needs to do

I suggest getting a Plextor DVD-ROM i am sure they make them then in Plextor tools set the max read to say 2 - 4X and it will never exceed that therefore keeping it quite

7. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    I understand the the general concensus seems to be that the standard IDE (PATA) Barracuda drives are great but the SATA versions are setup for speed not silence and you can not change it. I have a SATA Samsung and it is silent.

The spin speed in the PC is higher. Get Nero and use the drivetool that comes with it to change the spin speed down to something like 4x and it should quieten it down

8. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    AnyDVD also has the facility to "enable speed control" to "slow and quiet" works for me.
    I also use the sata spinpoint and it nice and quiet :thumbsup:

9. shreddy

shreddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone with Nero installed (who hasn't?!) will find there's a DriveSpeed tool - you can use this to stop your DVDs spinning like mad at 16x and cut the read speed down to 1x which is all you need.

In fact DriveSpeed is freely available for those that don't have Nero, see here: http://www.cdr-zone.com/software/drive_speed_tools/nero_drivespeed.html

As for HDDs if you absolutely have to have the quietest then you need a 2.5" disk. They're more expensive per Gb (~£1 vs £0.33 for 3.5") and I think the largest are 100Gb atm.

If you want more info about quiet then you absolutely have to check out:

http://www.silentpcreview.com

especially the "recommended" section.

10. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I'm still waiting to get the HDD (although I'm settled on getting a Spinpoint), but I have purchased a Plextor PX-130A DVD-Rom drive (£25 inc VAT).

This drive is superb :) Using either PlexTools or AnyDVD I can make the drive whisper quiet.

As for DriveSpeed I had tried this (and AnyDVD's speed control function) on the Asus drive I had in the HTPC and the various Lite-on's I have and neither made a blind bit of difference to the noise.

I can't recommend the Plextor enough.,,

With regards to HDD's I currently have a 2.5" Seagate in the HTPC and although you can't hear it spinning, the seeking noise is quite loud and very annoying.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Rob.

11. shreddy

shreddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Curious that; wonder if there's a DriveSpeed compatability list floating about somewhere?

Interesting to hear your thoughts about your 2.5" hd - I was tempted to shift from 3.5" to 2.5". Even though the SpinPoint is quiet, mine (an 80Gb SATA) seems to be by far the loudest part of the system. Are the IDEs supposed to be quieter, as for Seagate?

12. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have x4 160GB Spinpoint Ps in x2 RAID0 arrays in different machines. They are very, very loud, whining incessantly at a high pitch even at idle. I RMA'd them already as sub-standard and these replacements are no better. They are terrible.

I also have x8 Seagates in different flavours, but all Barracudas, either B5s or 7200.7s, some SATA and some ATA, mostly in RAID arrays, but a couple of single drives. They are all VERY quiet and are totally silent at idle.

I just bought another x4 Seagates and would NEVER buy Spinpoints again.

13. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Serial ATA Baricudas are not as quiet as the Serial ATA Spinpoint according to various reviews i read before buying the Spinpoint, and it is super silent, you cant hear it idle and the seek noise is much lower than i expected its som faint you have to be close to hear it very impressive

That Drivespeed did not work for my Pioneer 109 either lol so does not seem much use to me.

Its amazing how much the noise level varies between the same drive but it does happen and its pot luck really if you get a really silent drive, in my sisters Aopen Shuttle type system it has 1 fan so is designed to be quiet the seagate baricuda i put in there is easily audible on seek although still quiet

14. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One vitally important point to note about HDDs and sound levels is the particular chassis the drives are (being) mounted in. The same drive's sound output can vary enormously between chassis due to the characteristics of the metal and its resonance. Thick steel is very good at absorbing and dampening sound, it seems, but thin aluminium is absolutely terrible and even seems to amplify it.

Drives can be isolated by means of silicone washers/mountings or one of the 5.25 bay mountings sold at places like QuietPC. Take care with air flow around the drive when doing so, however.

Pioneer DVD-ROM owners can get a Pioneer speed utility, which allows the drive to be slowed or speeded up, either permanently or temporarily. Downloadable from Pioneer's Aussie site last time I looked.

I still say that Seagates are the quietest HDDs, whether they are ATA or SATA, and that Spinpoint Ps are VERY NOISY!!

15. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You must of had 4 bad drives then :)

As theres no way there VERY NOISY!! as you put it and i am sure many 1000's would say the same, I have a Thick Steel case BUT i was going by the noise once the top is off.

Anyway have to agree to disagree on that subject everyone will have there own oppinion either way

I got that utility you spoke about and it says on website for A07/107 and A08/108 i have the new Pioneer 109 and the program wont even see my drive :(

Damm typical surely there nearly the same apart from speed changes so godknows why it wont work with the 109

Oh well search continues

16. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have to have had 8 bad drives then, because I RMA'd the first 4.

Anyone near Cambridge, or willing to travel, is very welcome to come and hear the difference for themselves. There are 2 pairs of machines here with identical setups save that one pair has Samsungs and the other has Seagates.

Bear in mind, too, that Seagates have NCQ, which, with the appropriate chipset, gives you SCSI- level performance at v.low cost. Not terribly useful for HCPC, though, of course.

17. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Came across something the other day which says that the ASUS DVD-E616P2 is actually a the same as the Pioneer DV121 which is meant to be quiet. (quite a bit cheaper though)

I have however switched over to using AnyDVD which has an option to control CD and DVD speed. Unlike Drivespeed which seems to loose it's settings / not always work, this actually seems to do the trick.

You will allways have a problem with optical drives as they are inherantly noisey!! I have got my machine so quiet now that the only thing I can here is the DVD and I am thinking of trying the ASUS drive to see it it any quieter (worth a gamble for £20)

18. shreddy

shreddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lisa, presumably you're gonna put the 'cuda in the same pc right? Let us know what you find, will be interesting to hear your results (no pun intended :clown: !)

19. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    The Asus drive I mentioned previous in this thread is the Asus 616P1 which is very noisy and neither AnyDVD or Drivespeed couldn't do anything about it. I don't know if this drive has any relationship with the P2 except for the name.

Last night for the first time (since changing the DVD-ROM) we watched a film using the HTPC and except to the 2.5" HDD seeking once in a while it was silent. Using the Plextor DVD-ROM (with some help from AnyDVD) we played straight from the DVD-ROM drive and it was quiet as a mouse :)

I compared the HTPC with my Arcam DV88+ the other night and I was amazed that the HTPC now plays quieter than the Arcam! I never beleived the Arcam made a noise, until I listened carefully.

Once again I can't recommend the Plextor enough....

Just wish I knew what HDD to buy. I was set on a Spinpoint until Mephistopheles gave his input...

At this rate I will end up buying a Samsung and a Seagate so I can test myself...

Rob.

20. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    Apparently Samsung changed the motors/components in the SpinPoint drives at some point last year so they're nowhere near as quiet as they used to be.

I have 2x160Gb SATAs in my system and I can hardly hear then when they seek let alone at idle !

21. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Hmm, just as I was considering ordering a drive a friend of mine called me as he'd bought a drive and wanted my help fitting it (yes, I know it's a simple task but he gets worried about such things!).

Turned out he'd bought a 160 gig Baracuda 7... So before fitting in his PC I did some tests comparing it with the 2.5" Seagate drive I currently have in the HTPC.

I'm starting to conclude that maybe I'm asking too much... The 2.5" drive is much quieter! The seeking noise from the Baracuda was very low (deep) and drove me mad...

I think I'm going to get an acoustic enclosure from QuietPC and stick with the drive I've got.

Oh what fun!

Rob.