1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiet DVD Playback from HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Gillykid, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

For some reason my HTPC always plays DVDs a good 30db less than anything else on the system.

For example, if I am watching Sky, or playing a game then the volume is fine, but should I put a DVD in I have to increase the volume an insane amount to hear it.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

G :thumbsup:

2. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I assume music plays at a normal level. You have got the audio in your player (e.g. zoom or powerdvd) at 100%. Try windows media player or another player. Are you running to PC speakers or to an amp via an SPDIF lead?

3. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Yeah, music is fine. I use Meedio, which in turn is using PowerDVDs codec i think. I have pumped the volume up in that and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

The PC is connected to an amp via phonos.

Anyone?

Cheers

G

4. ukaudiophile

ukaudiophile

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    HI,

Does the Panasonic you use have an S/PDIF digital input? You ideally want to be using the digital output from your PC to your surround sound system. I've found that if I used the stereo analogue outputs on my last HTPC with either Power DVD or Win DVD I would find DVD soundtracks needed a higher volume setting than music played back on the same system through WMP8 or WinAmp.

If at all possible try a full digital connection (which will also give you Dolby Digital instead of analogue surround sound from a mixdown) and that should fix your problem.

Best wishes,

Dave

5. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for the reply.

Sadly the amp doesn't have a digital input - an upgrade is on the cards in a few months time, but for now I have to stick with the analogue.

Sounds like this may be unfixable!

Cheers

G

6. roninsrv

roninsrv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried updating to the latest drivers on your sound card? Could be your DVD playback s/w is having a problem with these?

7. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You are using 'line out' from the sound card to an input on the amp? Power DVD volume is on 100%. Have you tried using windows media player (so not through Meedio) to make sure that works fine? Have you gone to configuration in Power DVD to make sure its set to stereo output?

8. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, settings in PowerDVD are the same, and i have checked both playback in that and in Windows Media Player - but its all the same :(

Messed around with audio settings and its now marginally better - but still no major improvements.

I will check it is line out (and not headphones) and get the latest drivers, though they are pretty up to date.

One thing I have noticed is that playback on titles / trailers / etc seems reasonable, but goes quiet once in a film. Anyone know the reason for this?

9. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Most films are dolby digital/DTS, are you sure you have got the speaker setup in configurations right. Try downloading AC3 Filter if its still not working.

10. nikolajhendel

nikolajhendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gillykid
    I'm pretty sure Deano-b is on the right track. I had problems with sound on my (crappy) TV. The problem was that sound was AC3 - and I had ffdshow do the sound mixing for AC3. I hadn't set the output, so it tried to output the AC3 stream to a stereo set. This gave me very bad - AND very low sound.

I would recommend you to get the latest ffdshow, let it do the sound deconding (for AC3) and set the output for "stereo". That should do the trick

11. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok - thanks for the help - I will try it out and report back.

G

12. Gillykid

Gillykid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to resurrect this thread - but I tried the filters and no joy - though it was probably my complete mis understanding of how they work!

Guess I will have to wait for an amp upgrade..... :thumbsdow

How do you set FFDShow to do sound decoding? I work with computers / programming day in day out but dont really do much with codecs / sounds!