1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiet drives

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by NeilMcRae, Oct 30, 2003.

1. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Done some research on which SATA drives are noisy and which are quiet. This is based on my own ears an in a Shuttle XPC machine. No soundmeter or anything just my own ears, but I'm the type of guy who rips his car apart when he hears a rattle:

Best are the Hitachi SATA Desktar 7K2 disks, these are slient at idle and make a low noise whilst seeking, You can enable AAM on these discs to slow down the seeking which reduces the noise further, but you get some performance hits.

Next is the Maxtor SATA drives, a little bit more noisy and no AAM support, mostly an issue during large seeks and writes.

Next is the WD Cavier 36G sata drive. This is more noisy and you would spot this a mile off in comparision to the other drives, blistering performance but noisy.

Last is the Seagate Barracuda 7200.7. These are really noisey - great discs and build quality but the noise is terrible.

Couldn't get a sample of samsung to test but I've heard a lot of positive things about them. Keeping the Hitachi Deskstars, 2 80G in a RAID 0 setup.

Neil.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting. Barracudas actually noisier than the competition :eek:

Have 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) in an Antec Sonata & find them pretty quiet, especially as they're "isolated" from the chassis. Just a little spin up whine but perfectly acceptable in operation (even seeking). Actually quieter than PATA WD SEs.

3. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've changed the wording as it looks like I've over emphasised the nosie from the Cavier - its not that noisey its just noiser compared to the other 2 drives above.

I found out why seagate have gone downhill also and this applies to newer drives from quite a few vendors:

Apparently the technology to make the drives seek quieter is based upon some NASA stuff that was patented by a US company called Convolve. They also patented something close to what AAM is and they have issued lawsuits to those vendors using this. One of the biggest vendors using it was Seagate and they've had to stop using it hence why the IV and the V's are much queter than the 7200.7's.

UltimatePC have an article this month and they rate the Hitachi's as the best also.

Neil.