• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Quiet Blu Ray player?

clifty99

Good afternoon all,

My old Sony Blu Ray player was sounding a little loud last night, it also refuses to play one of my discs for no obvious reason. So I'm looking to replace it. I realise most of you guys are probably running top end models but I'm hoping someone has a bit of knowledge for the basics that they can share.

All I really want is for it to play, Blu Ray's, DVD's and CD's and to do it quietly with minimum loading time/hassle. I've got a Roku box and freesat, so streaming isn't an issue. Panny plasma so no need for 4K etc. It'll be plugged into my Yamaha AVR by HDMI.

Any help would be great.

gibbsy

The high end models are very quiet almost impossible to hear them in use. Load speeds are now much quicker across all manufacturers. I have two high end machines, a Pioneer lx58 and Denon 3313, both whisper quiet, the Denon loads slightly faster but the Pioneer has the better build quality and to me the best PQ. Expect to pay £400 plus.

clifty99

Thanks gibbsy. My budget won't be stretching up that high so I might have to just turn the volume up a bit if the new player is a little loud. I'm tempted with an xbox now. A little more than a budget player but a full console for the extra and still less than a premium player.

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
Thanks gibbsy. My budget won't be stretching up that high so I might have to just turn the volume up a bit if the new player is a little loud. I'm tempted with an xbox now. A little more than a budget player but a full console for the extra and still less than a premium player.

Ive had an original xbox and xbox one S and find they are awful noise wise for watching movies due to the fan noise. Got an Oppo 203 now and its silent during playback, such a joy.

Thought about a 4k player from the Panasonic range, still will play DVD/BD and they seem to get very good feedback.

mcspongy

I am selling my Sony BDP-5000ES on classifieds here. It is silent (and front display can be switched off if using in darkened /batcave room).

Edit: and all a Sony BD players were quick-loading.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom