Quiet 60mm Fans?

C

Caveat

Does anyone know a supplier of quiet 60mm fans.
I have a microATX case and PS that makes a very macro noise.
There is an empty 60mm case fan space, and a single 60mm fan in the PS.
QuietPC dont supply either uATX Power supplies or 60mm fans but there must be better than what Ive got now.
CPU is 1G Celeron which will be pretty straightforwrd to quieten down once I can hear it over the drone of the PS.

Caveat, I'm expecting delivery any day now of a Vantec SF6025L, reputedly the quietest 12v 60mm fan available.

I'll post a follow up when it's installed to let you know how it performs.

Alternative would be to slow down the existing fan.

cheers, Phil

Phil
Thanks for your response.
I look forward to your report. Are you using a UK supplier for the fans and how much are they costing?

QuietPC suggested slowing the fan down, but the Taulatin Celeron seems to kick out enough heat to keep the house warm, so Im reluctant to go that route till Ive at least got a fan that is as quiet as I can manage. Currently its just what came with the Lian Li box, which I assume is about as cheap as they can find.

If all else fails I'll get a Via C3 and look at slowing the PS fan down. Anyone care to comment on relative speeds?
I only need DVD, and MPEG4/DivX playback and very little else (recording can be done on a machine elsewhere if needs be). The box is intended to sit under the TV and be on 24/7 so it has to be quiet and reliable above almost all other considerations.

Have a look here - not the fans you mention, but several 60mm fans including Papst. May help? Also you could email them - I dealt with them a while ago, and they were very helpful guys.

If you don't need a great amount of airflow, then how about 24v fans running on 12v? Most 24v papst fans are rated down to 12v, and they hardly make any sound at all (I've just fitted two 80mm fan and even with my ear hard up against them (no, I didn't lose my earlobe :)) I can only just make out any sound.

Of course doing this will cut the amount of air pushed through, so it may not be suitable for AMD based machines, but I have no problems with my P4.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom