Quiet 50mm fan for HDD recorder

2DandStereo

Standard Member
Just replaced the fan on my Toshiba RD85 as it was intermittently making imminent death noises. The choice locally was limited, the replacement part has a higher specified current and makes far more flow noise. Checking on specs via the internet, the outgoing Tranyoung/Cofan 5025LL12S 12V fan has a very low 2500rpm operating speed and 14dB rating (still delivers 8cfm, recorder is rated at 35W so not a huge task) and I can't find anything that matches it - even Scan's Fractal Design fan is rated 5dB louder. Temporary replacement is 12cfm @ 5000rpm. Any recommendations for brands or UK suppliers that might be a solution? I appreciate that small fans are not clever for delivering silent cooling.

Last edited:

Gavtech

Administrator
Fan replacement in consumer items is very rarely done so I doubt there is much experience here that can help you.

There is perhaps more likelihood in the Computer Components section... I'll move your query there if you wish?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom