Quidco & The Like

BluWarfareHD09

I order something through play.com and at the end they said I had earned £10 cash back went to register for it and the people they reccomended is free and then after the first month you pay £9.99. Do all these cash back service charge you a monthly fee and if so what's the point, as if you are a casual shopper it will cost you more than what you recieve. Thanks in advance

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
BluWarfareHD09 said:
I order something through play.com and at the end they said I had earned £10 cash back went to register for it and the people they reccomended is free and then after the first month you pay £9.99. Do all these cash back service charge you a monthly fee and if so what's the point, as if you are a casual shopper it will cost you more than what you recieve. Thanks in advance

Not sure where you are looking but Quidco only charge £5 a year and that's if you earn the £5 in that year.

Topcashback don't charge a fee.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
That's not cashback is it? Isn't that just 'click on our affiliate link for £10 off some later order'?

No, it is not usual to be charged a fee of any kind for a cashback service. You >never< pay them. Some (like quidco) take the first £x of earned cashback per year, some (like TopCashBack I think) don't. None charge (that I know of).

Just a point or two about Quidco (and the like) 'cashback shopping'.

First of all you have to appreciate how the 'mechanics of it works'. It is all about 'cookies' and 'click throughs'.

So don't forget to shop cleanly with your Quidco click throughs to Retailers, by first of all clearing your cookies with a software product such as CCleaner (it's Free and easy to use).

If you don't do this, then the click through introduction to the pertinent retailer might not work. If it doesn't work cleanly then you might not get the cashback. Simples.

jassco

Distinguished Member
Just a point or two about Quidco (and the like) 'cashback shopping'.

First of all you have to appreciate how the 'mechanics of it works'. It is all about 'cookies' and 'click throughs'.

So don't forget to shop cleanly with your Quidco click throughs to Retailers, by first of all clearing your cookies with a software product such as CCleaner (it's Free and easy to use).

If you don't do this, then the click through introduction to the pertinent retailer might not work. If it doesn't work cleanly then you might not get the cashback. Simples.

I always use a different browser when using quidco which clears history / cookies etc. on exit. Ensures I never forget to clear them, though I sometimes forget to use quidco completely

D

Deleted member 27989

I don't do any of that, and haven't had a problem in years...just lots of cash back :)

BluWarfareHD09

Cheers guys. Another question, how do this sites work, where do they find the profit and still give us cash

D

Deleted member 27989

If you >only< visit the site via quidco then you are fine. If you go to the site, see what you want, then go to quidco and then back to the site, that's when it can go wrong.

I must say have found it pretty robust.

Yes I do both on Safari, but new TAB thus new session of course.

D

Deleted member 27989

Also don't forget that if you register your cards, you can also get cash back in a shop. I forgot about it until I was in Debenhams bought something and then all of a sudden I got the tracking email :)

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Cheers guys. Another question, how do this sites work, where do they find the profit and still give us cash

I always figured Quidco and Topcashback earn their money via taking off a tiny amount of the cashback earned, as that's essentially a referral fee of getting you to give your custom to that retailer.

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Quidco say they give you 100% of cashback. Who knows really though? :)

Wearing a Tin-Foil hat, I figured they are simply rounding up that figure e.g. essentially it's 99% etc Either way, I'm not bothered, as I've got back some £180 so far this year :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 27989

Yep that's great that is. Also good for spying on SWMBO :D

Yes and mine is leaving a long trail behind for my christmas presents :) Not realising that all the alerts go to my e-mail address instead of our family alias so she can't see what I got her :devil:

Mr Jolly

Hi guys,
Just a quick question. I have a Quidco account and have purchased car insurance through them in the past. I am looking to purchase a second car but will Quidco still let me have cashback on the premium or does it limit it to one transaction per customer? :hiya:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
Hi guys,
Just a quick question. I have a Quidco account and have purchased car insurance through them in the past. I am looking to purchase a second car but will Quidco still let me have cashback on the premium or does it limit it to one transaction per customer? :hiya:

Shouldn't think so, would depend on the retailer I'd imagine? e.g. I've purchased twice through Three for relatives (iPhone on the One Plan) and the cashback tracked and subsequently confirmed.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Topcashback don't charge though, so they and presumably quidco, have extra income streams.

I switched from Quidco to TopCashBack, partly because it was free but mostly because you can get 10% extra if you take Amazon vouchers.

Very recently, when taking a payment I noticed a 'begging statement' from TopCashBack. Paraphrasing it was along the lines "we offer this service for free, to enable us to continue doing so why not donate some of your earnings to us". It had radio buttons for different amounts and another one with 'no thanks' so you actually have to say that you aren't going to give a donation.

Cheers,

Nigel

pandemic

I've only used TopCashBack, no charge in fact they give an extra 1% on top of the cash back. They do provide the option of giving some of the money to a charity and/or themselves, but that is entirely up to you.
Was brilliant when I last used it paid for the first 6 months of my mobile contract and paid within a month or so.

Mr Noble

Distinguished Member
Quidco and topcashback etc make the cash the same way we do.

The company pay them , quidco pay you (taking a little bit well they must do you get nothing for free in this world )

Say for example mobile phone cashback rate of £120(shown) , the company may pay £150 to quidco and they hand over the rest to you.

I'm due £307 in the next payment run :)

If people think quidco survives on the yearly fee alone then they are mistaken.

fizl

Also don't forget that if you register your cards, you can also get cash back in a shop. I forgot about it until I was in Debenhams bought something and then all of a sudden I got the tracking email :)

Thanks for reminding me. I'd forgotten they had introduced that

sparkie1984

Distinguished Member
Mr Noble said:
Quidco and topcashback etc make the cash the same way we do.

The company pay them , quidco pay you (taking a little bit well they must do you get nothing for free in this world )

Say for example mobile phone cashback rate of £120(shown) , the company may pay £150 to quidco and they hand over the rest to you.

I'm due £307 in the next payment run :)

If people think quidco survives on the yearly fee alone then they are mistaken.

How do you get owed that amount!? The most I've ever had is £90 for some insurance and sky

The insurance took ages to come through about 6 months I think..

Although I do keep forgetting to use quidco for purchases I suppose it all adds up

D

Deleted member 27989

How do you get owed that amount!? The most I've ever had is £90 for some insurance and sky

The insurance took ages to come through about 6 months I think..

Although I do keep forgetting to use quidco for purchases I suppose it all adds up

It can be easy to earn amounts like that, I only use it for stuff I would buy anyone but especially with insurance, roadside assistance, phone contracts etc it can add up very very quickly.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022