1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quicktime help.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Lex, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

I enjoy downloading film trailers from the internet (i have just downloaded new Episode II trailer).

The problem I am having is keeping them. They all used to appear in my 'Temporary Internet Files' folder and I simply copied them from there. However lately they are not there - the only thing that appears is a 2kb shell.

Have Quicktime done this on purpose? I don't really see why they would do that, after all the trailers are promotional material and I would have thought that they would want to encourage people to keep them?!

It is really infuriating as I only have a 56k modem and so it takes about half an hour to download them, so I would like to keep them and watch them more than once!

Does anybody else have this problem? Or is it me?

Thanks for any advice,

Lex.

P.S. I am using Quicktime 5 (although it was exactly the same under QT4.

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You need Quicktime Pro to be able to download and save the latest trailers - such as Starwars Episode II etc.. Unfortunately you have to pay for this but it's not worth bothering as the trailers usually appear in a downloadable format in a matter of minutes after release on a variety of other websites. For instance check out:

http://www.empiremovies.com/movies/starwars.shtml

Quicktime have been doing this quite a lot lately which is very annoying I agree. They argue it stops other users from easily ripping the trailers of their site and posting them on newsgroups etc... (but it doesn't)!!

3. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi groundy. Thanks for the reply.

I still don't understand why I can keep some Quicktime trailers and not others - for example I downloaded the new Ali G film trailer earlier and am able to keep that one, but not the star wars one!

I followed the link you gave, but still am not able to keep it (were you saying that I could?)

Sorry, I am still a bit confused?!:(

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

It's really just down to the way Apple are encoding certain trailers, i.e., the ones they deem most important and don't want to be easily distributed to other sites. Sometimes you'll find you can save a trailer or find it in the Temp Internet Files folder for offline viewing but sometimes you won't. The problem trailers are streamed to your computer but still held on the server, with only a reference to the trailer being saved on your local drive.

The link I posted for the Starwars trailer should let you download it and save to your hard drive, simply by RIGHT-clicking the file name link and selecting SAVE TARGET AS option from the menu list. Then just select a directory on you hard drive to save the file to.

5. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Great. Thanks Groundy.