• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

quickest/ easiest way to tag mp3 albums

having thousands of mp3 albums i have never bothered to tag the tracks etc, so i dont have a clue on the best way to tag my mp3 albums & tracks.

only now using mce am i starting to think it would be a good time to tag all my mp3's

so what is the best way of doing it.

i dont mind aquiring software to do the job so please suggest any free or pay for software.

Is there a proggy that names the tracks and album folder and tags the tracks and adds album cover.

so weird i have been using mp3's for so many years now and never looked at this aspect of mp3's.

Also is there a quick way to create playlists for each album without having to save every album indivdually.

MikeK

I use MP3TagEditor.

However, as it's the only prog I've ever used (for files which have no ID3Tag that is - I usually rip my CDs using Audiograbber which Tags them automatically while ripping and converting), I can't really say how it compares with others.

It does filename > id3tag, which I suspect you'll find very useful, and allows large wads of files to be done at the same time with an explorer type interface.
It also allows multiple file tagging with a single text entry - ie if you wanted to tag say 20 files with Artist as U2, simply highlight the files and enter U2 in the Artist field, and they all get tagged - same with other tag info (such as album name, year, genre etc etc).

andyr300

id3 tag-it has access to the freeDB so it can look up tags,also can rename files,not sure about the folders though

The Dude

Distinguished Member
Tag&Rename is another good bet... does exactly what it says on the tin. :)

thanks for the reply's guys, ill check a few of those proggys out, ideally if they use the free database to update the file as this would save me a bit of work.

Slinkoff

it's a matter of personal taste and what you're happy using really. I'll put in another vote for Tag&Rename as the lookup on Amazon.com.co.uk.de.fr.jp.ca is really really useful, once I started using that all the other programs that use the freedb just didn't do as good a job. There's not really a need for any manual entry, just a couple of buttons to tag the files (with album art as well) and another to rename them all but there are very powerful options to rename/retag/get tags from names if you need them.

Best bet is to download a few trials and see what you're happy with. One thing to remember is that WMP/MCE uses the Album Artist field to identify unique albums but the name of the tag field varies between programs. Some will have it as Album Artist but it could be Orchestra or Band, but they're all the same thing.

Slinkoff said:
it's a matter of personal taste and what you're happy using really. I'll put in another vote for Tag&Rename as the lookup on Amazon.com.co.uk.de.fr.jp.ca is really really useful, once I started using that all the other programs that use the freedb just didn't do as good a job. There's not really a need for any manual entry, just a couple of buttons to tag the files (with album art as well) and another to rename them all but there are very powerful options to rename/retag/get tags from names if you need them.

Best bet is to download a few trials and see what you're happy with. One thing to remember is that WMP/MCE uses the Album Artist field to identify unique albums but the name of the tag field varies between programs. Some will have it as Album Artist but it could be Orchestra or Band, but they're all the same thing.

sounds good i have downloaded this to try along with the a few trials of te other

Mariner

The Dude said:
Tag&Rename is another good bet... does exactly what it says on the tin. :)

Another vote for Tag&Rename. I've been using it for a few years now and it was well worth the small investment.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom