1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Yam 640 question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Hallsy, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I know that they Yam RX-V640 doesn't have an on-screen display, BUT if you use the monitor out of the amp to the TV, will you get things like volume level, or source displayed on the screen?

Sometimes the amp display isn't visible from the seating position and it would be nice if the volume was dispalyed on screen as you changed it.

Just wondered if the monitor out did this, and if it did then I'd prob switch to using it.

Cheers

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    My 620 had a primitive on-screen display, that was ontop of what ever source you where viewing. I.e. the volume bar would pop up when you changed the volume, it alos makes setup easier as you can see all the menu structure.
    So if the 620 had one i'm betting the 640 will too.

3. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well, maybe I should try it.
    Only thing I was worried about was teh pciture quality, as my TV doesn't support component I would have to use S-Vid out from the amp, which may cause DVD pcitures that are currently scart to become poorer?
    Maybe I should wire everything bar the DVD player into the amp as these are just ordinary scarts or composite and use a decent S-vid to TV for these, then continue to use my DVD player in the RGB scart on the TV.
    Still won't be able to see the vol when watching movies though.
    Maybe I should try s-vid against RGB scart, if I can't tell the difference then it won't matter.

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    You may notice a diffrence between RGB scart and S-Video, although i saw RGB is sharper, using S-Video doesn't spoil my enjoyment. I tried composite through a projector and that was terible and out of focus but s-video doesn't seem that much different through a projector compared to component.

Anyway try them both I doubt you would notice much difference between the two once you sit down to watch something. The only time I see the difference is when iIput telewest channel selector up, through RGB the bars are a lot sharper, but they 'bounch' a little when through s-video. Actual programs on the otherhand are indistinguesable.

5. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cheers mate, I'll try a cheapish s-vid cable and see how I get on.

6. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well, I'm glad I didn't shell out on expensive cables!!
    Bought a couple of tvcables own brand s-vid leads, plugged DVD player into Yam, and went from Yam monitor out to s-video on TV.
    No picture?? Checked DVD menu and changed to s-video, now I have picture thorugh the monitor out, but christ, it is terrible!! Jagged edges everywhere, is this most likely due to cable, amp, TV or DVD player??

And to top it off when on monitor nothing from the amp display is put up on the screen anyway!! Change volume - nothing, change source - nothing!!
    Maybe I need to check the manual, but why would they have it on the 620, then drop it for the 640??

With this and my troubles with Acoustic Energy, see the thread in AV special offers, I'm not having a very good mornign at all :(

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Maybe its a case of 'chill your beans' and come back tomorrow, as some times with a fresh prespective things become fixed.

For your problem with the picture quality, try doing a direct connection to the tv from source and then do it from the amp.
    If the picture quality degrades when put through the amp, try using the cable that you didn't use for directly connecting the source and tv and use it for that. You might find that it is that cable which is reducing the quality.
    Otherwise the amp may actualy be reducing the quality of the picture, which I find strange.

8. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well, your idea of chilling the beans may have been correct - but I had another quick look anyway before I go to work.

Hooked up DVD player direct to TV, same picture, awful!!
    So, to see if it was TV s-vid input or DVD player I decdided to hook my PS2 up to amp via composite and let it upconvert to s-video, nothing!!
    Checkd menus and upconversion was turned off, turn it on and picture is pretty sharp. Hadn't compared direct to composite but I can always remember the PS2 looking a little jagged somtimes.
    So I decided to try the DVD player through the amp again, and guess what, the picture is fine. Haven't got time to direct compare to RGB , but certainly looks crisp.

Strange that s-vid to s-vid dhould be effected by the upconversion, or is it possible that the DVD player is actually outputting a composite signal down the s-video output?
    It's only a cheap Bush one, soon to be replaced by a Yam S540.

Haven't got a display yet though :(

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I don't think you ever will. I've owned a 640RDS for about a year, and I've never seen any on-screen displays. I don't mind, because I hate them anyway. Without the display I can edge the volume up during a movie, and the wife doesn't notice :thumbsup:

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    I might have been incorect about the 620 as it has been almost 6 months since i last used it, although to be honest i can remeber you could do the setup from the on-screen display, the volume changing and source indicator. Maybe you need to change your message tyoe to verbose or something, where it will display all messages through the osd.

11. Hallsy

Hallsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    No, I don't think I'll ever get it to show up on screen :(
    I knew that it didn't have an on-screen menu but thought that when on monitor it would flash up with volume settings as you changed it, and source as you changed source.
    Some good has come out of it anyway, the PS2 signal is better when fed through the amp and upconverted to s-video. So I'll leave this switched through the amp. Need to compare s-video on DVD to RGB scart, but reckon the RGB would have the edge, in which case I will revert that back to AV1 on the TV.
    Then I'll try the freeview box on teh scart to 3 RCA cable I've got coming and see if this looks better when upconverted through the amp.

Source switching doesn't matter to much as I have a Pronto now so once this is programmed whatever source the missus selects it will change it whether on teh amp or on the TV.