1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick XS32 question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dpluxor, Feb 8, 2005.

1. dpluxor

dpluxor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Just a quick question if I may. I am close to buying one of these recorders but I did ask a sales bloke this same thing but I didnt like his answer.

Is it right that you cannot use the timeslip, or pausing, or chase TV when recording to the hard drive, and that you have to be recording to DVD-RAM if you want to use these features. Sounds like a bit of a backward step to me if this is the case.

Thanks

David

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    No that is rubbish. Timeslip is fully available with HDD operations.

3. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    Can you imagine the amount of sales that' guy's employer's have lost due to duff info he's giving to customers.

4. dpluxor

dpluxor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed, and this wasnt just some shop selling an odd one of these things. I wont name the company but I will say this, they are the cheapest online retailer of this model and are giving away 3 free DVD-RAMs. When I asked them if they were sure about their answer, they said "Yes, thats why we are giving away the DVD-RAMs cos you will need them !!!"

Ideally I want to use the HDD for everything and just put a DVD in if I want to keep anything, or lend a film to someone, or build a music video compilation for the car or something

David

5. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes thats pretty much how I do things.. the only time I use the DVD is to watch pre recorded dvd's or if I want to keep something, or when I'm running out of space (which has happened a lot recently as I hardly seem to get time to watch tv, and its now so easy to record something).
    Don't tell 'the company' though as 3 free dvd rams is quite usefull :)

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I’ve got an XS32, and I’ve yet to use a RAM disc for recording. I’ve got a couple just in case… e.g. if I run short of space, though I haven’t got close yet.

I record everything to the HDD. I’d say 80% of what I record I watch from the HDD, then delete it. For the rest: recordings I want to keep get dubbed to –R, and recordings the wife wants to watch upstairs get dubbed to –RW.

Mark

7. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Redsox,
    can I ask why you went for the Toshiba? - was the Panasonic not up your alley?

8. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Just re-read the original post:

Now clearly the part about needing to use DVD-RAMs is rubbish. If you are recording to HDD, you can use timeslip and watch the start of what you are recording while still recording....

Of course what you can't do is pause live TV on a different programme. E.g. if the recorder is recording from it's internal BBC1, you could watch SKY at the same time, but you couldn't pause a SKY programme at the same time. The recorder can only be tuned to one input at a time. (This isn't specific to the XS32).

Now maybe this is obvious... just wasn't sure from the original post what it was you wanted to do.

Mark

9. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I wanted DV input, so I ruled out the E85.

I did strongly consider the Panny E95. The deciding factor was I wanted to be able to create -RW discs. This was important as my wife and I have some differing taste in TV, and I wanted to be able to record things for her that she could watch on another player. We don't want to keep these recordings, just watch once, so using -Rs for this would be a waste.

The fact that the XS32 was cheaper than the E95 was a bonus.

This may seem like a small point, but it was an important one for me. I see the new Pannys will support -RW.

I've since discovered an additional advantage that the XS32 records the "widescreen flag" to DVD-R, while the Panny doesn't. While you can work around this on a 16:9 TV, this would have caused me trouble. With the XS32 I can make a widescreen recording, and my wife can watch it fine on a 4:3 TV (letterboxed, not distorted). It seems the Panny can not do this.

Mark

10. nic@highgroundd

nic@highgroundd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers,
    much appreciated.

(how many times can a DVD-RW record Coronation Street? ... that should be in the manual!). ;)

11. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    But then the same applies equally if your recording to DVD-RAM... Don't make excuses for the salesman - he was taking s*** and shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

12. dpluxor

dpluxor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, and in light of everything you knowledgeable readers have told me, and a quick browse at the rather lengthy downloadable manual from the tosh site, I have ordered one today. Howver, this was not ordered from the company I first posted about (the anonymous bunch with the free DVD-RAMs), I ordered from another firm for £339.

After reading into the terms of the former company, I found out that their delivery is 3 to 5 days. I dont know about you but if I get itchy fingers and decide to order a new toy, it MUST come next day. Their next day upgrade cost £8.99 bringing their price to £347.99. Still a good price but it pays to read the small print. The next firm I tried attempted to pull another fast one, they advertised at £339 with next day del. if ordered b4 3pm. The guy on the phone said "It'll be 48 hours delivery". Oh no it won't !!!!!!! :nono:

One thing that really annoys me with a lot of the cheaper retailers is that they dont know anything about their products. They may sell a wide range and at good prices but if so much as try to ring them to, for example, get a model comparison or ask something that you can't find anywhere, you just get the robot answer "All the specs are on our website", or a made up answer. Very rarely do you get an honest, "I don't know Sir"

I just bought a 32ZP48 and all most sites just listed the basics "100hz, Dolby Digital, 32", Picture Frame". All I wanted to know is if it had Component inputs, I got 1 yes and 2 no's and a 'Check our website for the spec'.

David

13. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is the one you're getting multiregion?

14. dpluxor

dpluxor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. dpluxor

dpluxor
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, thats RVE discs ??

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,208
    That's RCE - Regional Coding Enhancement - which is a special type of region check on discs from selected studios. Basically an RCE disc is set to Regions 1 though to 6 - this confuses a Region Free player and some 'auto-switching' players and thus the disc won't play. In summary then your machine will play most, but not all, US DVDs.