1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Xbox question!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Halo, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Halo

Halo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased the Xbox, its brilliant. The question is I want to connect it via component cables as I know its the best quality method of connection. I dont want to Mod my Xbox at the moment and im not to bothered about progressive scan, I just want the better quality video from the component connection. Can it be done on the UK PAL model which I have? If so where can I get the cables...Please help somone, even if its a NO at least it will put my mind at rest.

2. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Yes is the quick answer but if your not using it for prog scan then you might as well just use Scart IMOH. Look for cables on Lik-Sang.com or search through the mounds of xbox component threads on this site for more info.

3. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    ^^ what he said ^^ plus, I'm led to believe the official MS component cables are the best, but they are not for sale in the UK, so you'd have to Lik-Sang them. You can buy component cables in this country, but AFAIK they are not the best quality, though I haven't tried them. A UK Xbox will work unmodified with component cables, though not in Hi-Def, obviously.

And if you can, get progressive going, its well worth it, and you don't even have to chip your Xbox, you can load software to do the job. There are loads of threads in here about how to do this.

4. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The unofficial component xbox cables I have tried give severe ghosting compared to the official component pack.

5. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The picture quality from the official component cable and the official scart cable looks the same on my HD screen being fed interlaced. You won't need a mod just to use the component cable, only to enable 480p, 720p and 1080i. Older xboxes use a different video encoder chip and so there might be more difference between YPbPr and RGBscart output, also your TV might do a better job with YPbPr or RGBscart, it depends, but interlaced output from xbox is so soft I doubt you'll see much difference.

6. Halo

Halo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help, although if im right in thinking the advanced Scart is as good as basic component output I might just opt for the Scart. I have an LCD with every available input, oh the choices...sigh