1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quick way of switching VGA to DVI

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by taimur, Nov 10, 2003.

1. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My computer blew up so I bought another one. I used to have a great graphics card in my old computer (thanks Kramer!) which would output both DVI and VGA at the same time.

I needed a computer quickly, so I bought a Sony VAIO desktop with a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 graphics card, thinking it would output VGA and DVI at the same time, but it turns out I can only output VGA or DVI singly, not together. I can have S-video output in addition to either the DVI or VGA, but that's not what I want.

I also hear Sony's are a little difficult when it comes to changing things around so I thought I'd ask here for advice..... should I be able to output VGA and DVI from my graphics card, and if not am I going to cause immense problems if I simply change my graphics card around?

The alternative is if there's a quick shortcut key method to switch from DVI to VGA output, hence the title of the thread, but I can't think of any!

Thanks

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hate when that happens :D

Radeon gone too? That's a bummer :(

Haven't "played" with nVidia interface recently but I'd have thought both hotkeys & dual (simultaneous) output is possible.

If changing the graphics card I can't forsee any problems, just uninstall the nVidia drivers completely (Det Destroyer) & reinstall a Radeon.

Best of luck ;)

3. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just updated to the latest GeForce 5600 driver and although there's a quick way of displaying either DVI or VGA, whenever the computer restarts it automatically thinks I want the VGA output as my default. Since that's not what I would like, I think I'll install the card you sent me and take it from there.

That'll teach me for assuming things and lucky I still have your old graphics card handy!