1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

quick VAT question

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by drewboy, Jan 10, 2002.

1. drewboy

drewboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Quick question for someone.

What's the current state of play with regards importing a camcorder bought in Hong Kong into the UK? (if I get caught that is!)

How much duty and VAT will I pay (% wise that is).

I've searched most of the .gov websites inc. customs & excise but to no avial.

Cheers,
    Drew.

P.S. Once I've bought the sodding thing I'll be back to pester you all with my newbie questions!!.

2. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    You will have to pay VAT at 17.5% as well as import duty. This seems to vary with value so your best bet is to give C&E a ring and ask.

If I remember correctly, last time I paid it, it was about 3.5% on a value of about £250 so if the saving is great then it can still be worth it.

WARNING

If you try and come back through the green channel and not declare it and then get stopped, they are within their rights to take it off you and keep it. At the same time, if they are having a bad day, they could even detain you which could involve a full strip search and internal examination as by this point you have been caught trying to evade tax and they don't like that.

This alone could be worth paying TAX & VAT to avoid

:eek:

3. drewboy

drewboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice.

I'd better cough up the money i think.
    Rubber gloves and me don't exactly get on.

Cheers,
    Drew.