Quick transfer of AVI files to DVD

brookie

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have several hours of conference talks in AVI files.

I'd like to squeeze as many hours per DVD as possible without too much compromise on video quality - but the video quality isn't that great - sound is more important.

Any suggestions for software?

I don't need to do any fancy editing before doing the transfer.

Firstly what do you mean by AVI files.. what format exactly?

Secondly. are you reffering to making DVD video discs ?( not just data discs?)

Thirdly, although authoring DVD discs is not quite a "quick transfer", getting higher quality is even slightly
more time consuming, and software dependent .
Some software do it faster than others if they have the right hardware. End quality is also software dependent ( provided source is OK)

Nonetheless, even if you were starting from a DV AVI recording on a top notch camcorder ( best source scenario), 2 hrs per 4.7 Gb DVD disc is the maximum to aim for

Lastly most software will not degrade audio; what they dont do is enhance it automatically; That you would need to do in a suitable package ( if required) The good news is that most modern packages posses some ability to enhance audio
PCM audio is best ( CD quality) but it is large size and will reduce how much video will fit on a disc
AC3 ( dolby digital) is a surprisingly good audio of much smaller size , but still good quality which most ( but not all) packages can encode audio to and should suffice for all intents and purposes) . However , like video the actual audio quality you end up with is dependent on how good the original was
In an ideal world, Separate audio recording using good microphones is used,
I haven't actually answered your query ( deliberately) but I hope the above would be helpful in "restructuring" your question for a more focused answer to you:)

Firstly what do you mean by AVI files.. what format exactly?

Secondly. are you reffering to making DVD video discs ?( not just data discs?)

Thirdly, although authoring DVD discs is a "quick transfer", getting higher quality is slightly
more time consuming, and software dependent .
Some software do it faster than others if they have the right hardware. End quality os also software dependent

Nonetheless, even if you were starting from a DV AVI recording on a top notch camcorder ( best source scenario), 2 hrs per 4.7 Gb DVD disc is the maximum to aim for

OK. Thanks. Wasn't quite sure how to phrase the question.

The AVI files were produced by reading in standard DV tapes from a camcorder using Adobe Premiere Elements 1. I now have them on a disk drive.

The sound track was recorded using a radio tie-clip into the camcorder.

We want to go to DVD video discs, not data, and reproduce for the conference delegates and ship worldwide - hence trying to reduce the number of discs.

I guess I could buy Premiere Elements or Vegas or similar but I don't need to do any editing.

So I was just wondering whether there was any decent free software that would do the transfer?

If not, which video editing app is popular these days? I get the impression from Amazon reviews that Premiere Elements 4 is very buggy, but then Vegas and Pinnacle also get slated.

Ah a lot clearer!:D

You have DV AVI files from a MiniDV camcorder

Im not sure of any free packages ( would any be that good??)
But I would recommend
UleadMovie Factory

It is (IMHO) a fuss free way of getting to DVD video from your files
It is Inexpensive and generally does what it says on the Box

Nero Vision 5 (Part of Nero 8) or 4 ( from Nero 7) are perhaps capable but a bit more lean in features
DVD Architect ( or Architect Studio) is another ( This one is from the Sony Vegas Family)
There are others TMPGenc ect

None do it as a "quick transfer" though
The "quick" way is to record from camcorder to settop DVD recorder in real time

If you dont need to edit, I would bypass the full editing packages. UMF6+ does have some editing abilities
Give the trial download a go from HERE
As an aside, all the packages get a slating and most times it doesn't prevent them from having satisfied users who can often find way round any gremlins if none has been made available by patches

I see why you are aiming to minimise no of discs but If you are making it for a worldwide audience ( of delegates), wouldn't you need to worry about the NTSC/PAL Issue?

Premiere Ver4 works well with me, but that seems to be the case with most packages , so im a bit "untypical" It would seem. I find it very hardware hungry though and found ver3 far more easy going. I hesitate to recommend it

At any rate I would read the reviews with a pinch of sodium chloride, and also ask in forums like this for reallife user experience

Thanks.

When I said "quick" I really just meant not going through an editing package - I appreciate there's a certain amount of time involved just transferring the stuff.

Actually I think PAL will work for most of the recipients and SECAM might be more of an issue than NTSC.

Is anyone familiar with this freeware tool?

http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareAvi2Dvd.php

Thanks.

When I said "quick" I really just meant not going through an editing package - I appreciate there's a certain amount of time involved just transferring the stuff.

Actually I think PAL will work for most of the recipients and SECAM might be more of an issue than NTSC.

Is anyone familiar with this freeware tool?

http://www.trustfm.net/divx/SoftwareAvi2Dvd.php
Im not, I note it is codec dependent though and you have to try them. however It is free and you have very little to lose ( apart from time) One reason I am wary of such products is the unpredictable nature of multiple codec installation.. It may however work like a charm for you
but
The one I pointed you to will set you back £29-35 and I would try the trial version..
You can make a disc image once you are happy with it and duplication thereafter should be relatively straightforward

Senu got me onto Ulead DVD Movie Factory (version 4) years ago, and I've never looked back. I've authored a fair few DVDs from DV-AVI files, including one-offs, a dozen at a time, or a master DVD for producing a couple of hundred. I always put in up to 1 - 2 hours DV-AVI file(s) and convert to DVD-compliant MPEG2 at the highest settings possible. I then go back and load the newly made MPEG2 file(s), occasionally add chapters, add a menu, tell Ulead not to re-render the MPEG, and then either burn the DVD - or create a disc image file on the PC and just copy those onto DVD when I need to. I always use Taiyo-Yuden DVD-R discs (available in tubs of 100), and have never had one failure (touch wood...).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom