Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Quick Subwoofer cable question!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by AML, Mar 1, 2005.

1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    This has probably been asked before but, is there any real difference between using a regular high grade phono cable over a propper high grade subwoofer cable?

The reason I ask is coz im using a phono cable just now.
    It's a good cable and Im using it instead of the bundle cable that came with the woofer.
    It has made a huge difference in terms of sound over the bundle cable.
    I wonder if I would get an even bigger increase in performace if I used a propper subwoofer cable, or if its not really worth bothering over?

Any advice apreaciated!

2. paulflowe

paulflowe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know, the only 'increase' in performance you would get will be to cover the 'standard' analogue cable with a 95% silver or copper braid to further minimise EMI and RFI. Mains operates at 50Hz, subwoofers reproduce sound up to 60 - 80Hz (normally ???) so you want to minimise any chance of a 'noisy line'. My own DIY cable to my M&K sub is a 'standard' cable covered in two of these braids. You could add a ferrite ring at each end of the cable and see what happens.

An opinion, nothing more.
    Paul. :)