quick step down convertor question....

steve morris

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks

I know this has been done to death, but.....well..........i'm a Joey :D

I should be getting a Tosh HD DVD player tomorrow (depending on '****ty link' couriers) and can i use an old step down convertor (from a Jap PS2 i had) just to test it's working in tip top style?

The step down i have is:
Input: 220V-240V 50/60Hz
Output: 110V 65W

I just want to use it briefly to make sure the players o.k.

I then want to buy this on Thursday:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=VR03D&DOY=22m8
Will this one be o.k. for permenant use?

Thanks for the help homies!!:clap:

The 65W one is borderline ok. Should be fine for briefly testing but don't leave it on for more than an hour in case the transformer overheats. The Maplin 200VA or 300VA ones are excellent, as recommended by Nic Rhodes. :D

I wouldn't use 65w on my player, these things will overheat and can melt (I had one that did, it was rated at 50w and player consumed 42w). I always allow 30% over spec, 10% for the 10% over voltage I have here, 10% to allow for incorrect ratings of transformer and 10% for FOC. So in my book that is 300w!

I have the 100w one recommended from Ebay seller, have to say though does get v hot, now turn it off when not using the player, does everyone else leave theirs on? Is a pain having to plug it in every time I want to demo the player/watch a movie? would a higher w rated one be better?

I leave it on or in standby but there is an on off switch on the transformer if you want to kill it dead.

nictry said:
I have the 100w one recommended from Ebay seller, have to say though does get v hot, now turn it off when not using the player, does everyone else leave theirs on? Is a pain having to plug it in every time I want to demo the player/watch a movie? would a higher w rated one be better?

I use a 100w unit that has a thermal fuse. It gets very warm but no warmer than my Lumagen. Pronto or laptop power bricks and it's on all the time. I looked at several units and the 200/300w wouldn't fit my space due to their size (similar to a house brick).

AVI

Avi said:
I use a 100w unit that has a thermal fuse. It gets very warm but no warmer than my Lumagen. Pronto or laptop power bricks and it's on all the time. I looked at several units and the 200/300w wouldn't fit my space due to their size (similar to a house brick).

AVI

OK, it does seem to be v hot though so was a bit worried, also the instructions with it do say don't leave on all the time and only while 'in use'? But if you have had it a while I feel a bit more confident :)

Hi,

I'm awaiting my Toshibs to arrive, I was going to use an old transformer I used for a Dreamcast - could someone please confirm whether it would be suitable?

Input - 220/24V
Output - 110/120V
Max Load - 50VA

Many thanks!

hurst_c said:
Hi,

I'm awaiting my Toshibs to arrive, I was going to use an old transformer I used for a Dreamcast - could someone please confirm whether it would be suitable?

Input - 220/24V
Output - 110/120V
Max Load - 50VA

Many thanks!

I would suggest an absolute min of 100w. The Tosh is rated at 90w and according to AVS avg consumption is around 48w with a peaks a about 80w.

AVI

hurst_c said:
Hi,

Input - 220/24V
Output - 110/120V
Max Load - 50VA

Many thanks!

Don't use it.

Many thanks for the advice - I've just ordered a replacement from eBay froma previous link on the same topic.

fatrich said:
I have this one:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=TF00013

doesnt even get luke warm never mind warm, a bit expensive but better safe than sorry hey,can run 2 units off it with plenty of headroom.

richard

Yeah and the size of a small car :eek: :D might have to pass on that as won't be able to fit that behind my cabinet without pulling it into the middle of the room :suicide:

is it them same as fatrich has or differnet one----how much by the way

Just to clarify... the A1 and XA1 draw 90Watts of power, so a transformer of at least 135Watts is required to operate within the correct tolerances and safety. We use a 200W professional model for our players with good long term results and more importantly no melt-down or damage to player.
thanks
Alan at HD-DVD UK

cpadams said:
hi mate £13 inc delivery - but for a more faster delivery will have to add on top, if wanted ill dig out the spec and post in a bit
Step Down Transformer

* Converts 220/240v AC to 110/120v AC
* Maximum output 100 watts
* Fitted with a 13amp UK plug
* USA style socket
* Ideal for Games Consoles etc

Attachments

• cb_2.jpg
    cb_2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 35
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom