Quick Soec check and questions before i order HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by BGoff, Jul 25, 2005.

1. BGoff

BGoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    After starting my search to build an htpc with quite a tight budget i've slowly expanded the budget and spec to reach for following. As im hopefully within a week of being able to fund the order i thought it would be wise to ask advise before i go ahead.

Abit AA8 Duramax mobo ( Pci-E, sata, firewire, 7.1 high def sound)
    P4 3000 socket 775
    2 x 512 pc400 ram
    Leadtec 6600gt 128mb Pci-E GPU
    200gb SATA hard disk
    dual layer dvd writer
    2 Freeview tuners
    multi format card reader
    silent 400w psu
    Built into a silverstone LC03 htpc case
    Running MCE 2005 with remote

First pinions on the suitability of this spec would be appreciated.

Next the value of the system as i dont have time to build and set up the system myself and have been quoted £900 fully built and tested with all cd's and COA's.

2 quick usage questions with MCE (i may need to ask in the MCE forum though)

how easy is it to convert MCE recorded video to other formats eg. Divx as i want to be able to watch it on my archos AV420. if its the same as converting as other formats there wont be a problem but just a bit worried the special MCE format may be troblesome.

Also the petecular 6600gt GPU that the retailer has said will be used (leadtec) does not support 1280x720 (or any widescreen formats for that matter). is it possible to use powerstripe with MCE and are there any difficulties in doing this i should be aware of (or is it better to ask for a different card that does support widescreen to be used).

Thanks in advance for any help and coments
    Ben

2. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,352
    Sounds good - I think that graphics card has a fan, how about the Gigabyte one that is passively cooled and hence - silent?
    Which tuners? There are good and bad ones about.
    You will need a DVD codec to go with that, would recommend the Nvidia one available from their website via a free trial.

Good price.

It is possible - if you look at www.thegreenbutton.com there are some free plug-ins you can download which will convert the DVR-MS files to other formats, not used them myself but lots of people do.

What? That sounds very wrong to me, and if its true get a different card like the Gigabyte one. All nvidia cards use the same drivers, and there is the option to add custom resolutions and refresh rates in the settings, that card should surely support WS resolutions???

You're welcome - what does Soec mean?

3. BGoff

BGoff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    it was a typo of "spec", i have edited it but its not changed yet
    thanks for the help lisa

4. nemloc

nemloc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you use as your audio connection from the motherboard to the receiver? (optical digital or analog connection?) I've had issues where the driver won't output the analog audio channels on a digital connection.