Quick Sky Magic Eye question

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dony, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Dony

Dony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,671
    I've just bought a tv from our bedroom and want to connect a magic eye so it can control the sky+ box in the tv room downstairs.
    As it is now, I've connected the bedroom tv via coax to a wall plate in the bedroom and can pick up whatever Sky channel is on downstairs.

Is it just a matter of buying a magic eye, and using it instead of the coax cable to connect from the wall plate to the tv in the bedroom?
    Do I need to do anything with the settings on the Sky box?

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,936
    Make sure you use the RF2 out of the Sky box as this has the powered RF Magic Eye thingy on it. THe magic eye will sit between your coax cable and the tv coax inlet.

3. Dony

Dony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,671
    Thanks Bob....haven't had a chance to get to the rats nest behind the tv in the other room to check if the RF2 output is being used. I'm hoping the guy who did my original installation used it. The box in question has feeds running up the cavity to all the room upstairs (via a box in the loft).

Is it possible to connect the magic eye directly to the tv coax input plate? Looking at a tvLINK®-Black
    I'm wondering can I push the male connector on the tvlink into the faceplate on the wall, cutting out the need for an additional coax cable.

Most likely daft questions, but without having a magic eye at hand I've no idea. :rolleyes:

4. CDphobe

CDphobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    If you can see the Sky channel on the upstairs TV then it's being fed from either RF1 or RF2, and chances are that the other RF output won't be in use (because you'll be feeding your main TV with HDMI) so worst case is you'll need to move the cable across at the Sky box downstairs.

The Sky Eye system uses a male on one side and female on the other, so you just need the one RF lead from the wall plate to TV in the bedroom, the Sky Eye fits "into" this lead, normally at the TV end so that the remote receiver is next to the TV.

The only other thing you need to make sure of is that neither of the two wall plates that you're using block DC, and that if you're feeding the signal via a loft box (amplifier) that it too will pass DC.

Al

5. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,936
    You'll need a coax lead whichever way you do it, but TBH, I've always directly inserted the Eye between the coax cable and the TV itself.

[​IMG]

+^ what CDPhobe said.

6. Dony

Dony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,671
    The tv which the sky box is connected to is an old CRT so no hdmi. Does this mean it's likely to be connected to RF1, with RF2 feeding the upstairs rooms?

Any particular eye to get or avoid? Dont need any frills as it will only get occasional use.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  7. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,353
    You know there is an everything you need to know about magic eye sticky in the sky section

8. BandWidthJunkie

BandWidthJunkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    You might also have to switch on the RF2 Power On setting, if the Magic Eye doesn't control the Sky Box when all plugged in correctly.

I think it's something like pressing Services 0 0 1 and then Select to get the hidden menu. Then go to RF Outlets and turn the power on, remembering to save the settings.

HTH

9. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,789
    An "eye" can't be used instead of a cable! You take the end of the existing cable out of the TV's aerial socket, put it into the "eye", and put the "eye" into the aerial socket. You don't need any extra cable. As CDp said "eyes" only work if you have the right type of wallplates as ordinary ones block the IR signal.
    It might, or it might be by Scart, so you'll only find out by looking. All these "eye" things are much the same.

This should be in the Sky forum anyway, and imho it's better to forget magic eyes and get a wireless IR Extender.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  10. eireann10

eireann10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +560
    pretty much as CDPhobe said pal

the upstairs TV will be feed by co-axial cable, not scart.

so this will either be coming out the RF1 or RF2 sockets as already said, just need to swap if necessary and make sure RF2 power is turned on via secret menu.

i have three magic eyes in my house and think they are great jobs, only cost a few pounds

My first two where the same make (not sure what it was) then we needed another and wife bought a different type of eye, it was rubbish and didnt work that well, i bought the same as i already had and it worked fine

another thing is to make sure none of the copper sheath stuff is touching the copper wire in the cables at each end, this causes a short and the signal wont be sent.

11. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,789
    And check this before you buy:

12. Chadford

Chadford
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: