Quick Sky cable query

Quackington

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a new TV, along with a glass stand. As nice as it looks, this glass stand has exposed a whole bunch of wiring, and it looks horrible. I'm in the process of buying some cable tidies (if anyone has any recommendations, please let me know), but I noticed the the two Sky cables coming into the house from outside are extremely long inside. I don't know why, because the TV is right next to the wall and always has been It only needs to come about a metre in from the wall (tops, and that's being generous). It is going to be really tough to hide these cables, so I was wondering if it's possible to just cut these cables and shorten them, or is this something that really should be done by a Sky engineer?

Thanks.

Shortening the cable is a fairly simple process and I doubt there is a need for a Sky engineer to carry on this work.

Thanks a lot. In which case I'll see if i can get one of my DIY friends to do it.

Here's a cable tidy, and there are many more to choose from: "Cable Tidy" Cable Tidy at JML Direct.
You can shorten the cables yourself in roughly five minutes - fully power off the Sky machine, unscrew the plugs from the sockets, unscrew them from the cable, shorten the cable, use M P's instructions to replace them on the cable being very careful with any loose strands, screw them back into the sockets, power on the Sky machine.

Last edited:
I don't know why, because the TV is right next to the wall and always has been

Because the next people to buy your house may decide to position the TV (and Sky box below it) somewhere else?

Be careful about "tidying" cables. Keep power cables well away from signal cables. LNB cables should be kept as short as possible because the signal loss is quite high and because long loops of cable can pick up interference. A new owner can extend them if necessary; in the meantime, you probably want the best reception possible.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom