Quick sanity check before I order

garnat

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd appreciate you guys letting me know if I've missed anything here before I order the following:

Case Silverstone CW02
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo, E8500, Wolfdale Core, S775, 3.16GHz, 1333MHz,
RAM Corsair 4x1GB TWIN2X2048-6400C4
Cooler Scythe Shuriken or Scythe Ninja II - any ideas if the ninja will fit? Will this still cool OK without a fan?
Fan 120mm Noctua NF-P12 Vortex-Control Quiet Case Fan
PSU 450W Corsair 450HXU
Tuner card WinTV-NOVA-T-500
Blueray drive LG Blu-Ray/HD DVD GGC-H20LRB
Hard drive Samsung 1TB F1 drive

Could use some advice on the cooler specifically, I also appreciate it might be a little overkill for an HTPC but I want something reasonable future proof and am looking to add a graphics card for games at some point.

Many thanks

Not sure about those heatsinks fitting in the cw02 - however you could look at the Scythe Mini Ninja? Otherwise, I like the look of your system - although I would cosider the E8200 or E8400...

Hi,
I have the CW02 in silver, it's a great case. :smashin:
The case can take a cpu cooler up to 16cm high, the Ninja II is 15.5 high , so no worries there. I will eventally be buying a Ninja II for my htpc .
Running the cooler passively shouldn't be a problem as there's a vent on the side of the case right beside the cpu cooler, and the rear case fan will pull a good amount of air through the heatsink.

Hope this helps.

Cheers for the comments, would I be right in assuming there's no real difference in terms of performance having 2 x 2GB vs 4 x 1GB for the RAM? Only real diff is the number of slots taken up?

Then I can order it all up :D

Cheers for the comments, would I be right in assuming there's no real difference in terms of performance having 2 x 2GB vs 4 x 1GB for the RAM? Only real diff is the number of slots taken up?

Then I can order it all up :D

Not sure about difference in terms of performance , I went for 2 x 2GB so that if I went for a 64bit version of windows in the future I could easily add another 4GB of ram and make full use of all available ram.

Hi,

I'm also in the process of selecting kit for my new HTPC build and you've pretty much gone with exactly what I have in mind! :thumbsup:

I'll create a new thread when I finalise my order and keep you posted with my progress, would be good if you could do the same.

Cheers,
Michael

I'd appreciate you guys letting me know if I've missed anything here before I order the following:

Case Silverstone CW02
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H
CPU Intel Core 2 Duo, E8500, Wolfdale Core, S775, 3.16GHz, 1333MHz,
RAM Corsair 4x1GB TWIN2X2048-6400C4
Cooler Scythe Shuriken or Scythe Ninja II - any ideas if the ninja will fit? Will this still cool OK without a fan?
Fan 120mm Noctua NF-P12 Vortex-Control Quiet Case Fan
PSU 450W Corsair 450HXU
Tuner card WinTV-NOVA-T-500
Blueray drive LG Blu-Ray/HD DVD GGC-H20LRB
Hard drive Samsung 1TB F1 drive

Could use some advice on the cooler specifically, I also appreciate it might be a little overkill for an HTPC but I want something reasonable future proof and am looking to add a graphics card for games at some point.

Many thanks

Whats the best price you have seen for the Silverstone CW02? So far I have seen it for £284 inc vat @
Eclipse Computers - Product Details

That's the best price I have seen so far as well. Will let you all know how I get on.

Cheers

Will I need any thermal paste to attach the cooler to the CPU?

Cheers

Yes, defintely.

Also, are you gaming? Just asking so that I can suggest a graphics card.

Thanks, gaming wasn't in my original plan but the more I read on here the more I like the idea. I have an xbox 360 and would love to improve on the gaming experience that can deliver if possible. I want to get the TV PVR config working first before delving into gaming, it looks like the ATI 4770 is a good option right now?

Thanks, gaming wasn't in my original plan but the more I read on here the more I like the idea. I have an xbox 360 and would love to improve on the gaming experience that can deliver if possible. I want to get the TV PVR config working first before delving into gaming, it looks like the ATI 4770 is a good option right now?

Indeed. I've heard good things about it. It's supposed to have similar performance to a Radeon HD4850 or GeForce 9800GT but at a much nicer price.

Hi,

Your processor seems a little out of balance with the rest of the system. You could happily get by with an E5200 or E5300 for under half the price, and not notice the processing difference while run cooler.

If you want to game and/or video encode at a later date and want to be ready for it now, you may find that a quad would be more beneficial. You can get a Q8400 for the same price as an E8500. Of course a decent GFX card would also need to complement the CPU.

Rest of it looks good though :).

Just my 2p worth.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom