1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick RGB/S-Video Scart question

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mister_d, Jun 23, 2002.

1. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it possible for a Scart socket to support both S-Vid and RGB, or does it have to be one or the other? Quite a few of the TVs I'm looking at only seem to have a single RGB Scart socket and no front S-Vid input, so I need to know whether or not to rule them out.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is possible, the TV i have now supports RGB and S-Vid on AV1, i believe that the replacement set just launched supports RGB and S-Vid on AV1/2.

bob

3. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the quick reply :)

That's good news, and quite surprising as well. I'll still check before each individual model before buying, but at least I now know it's possible.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Possible, but rare in my experience. You definitely need to check carefully if this is something you require (directly with the manufacturer if I were you).

5. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    on two scart sonys one is rgb the other is s-video.

6. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Doesn't sound too promising then. It's fairly irrelevant now as I've decided I'll probably spend the extra on a 28"+ widescreen, the vast majority of this have two or more Scart sockets. If I do decide to go with a 21" 4:3 with a single socket after all then I'll check before I buy.

7. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    mister_d

I have a decidedly lo-tech 5 year old 32" WS Thomson, this has twin scarts as well as a side input for s-video. The AV1 scart can be switched between RGB or S-Video or Video, the AV2 can handle S-Video or Video.
    The manual implies that you should not have items connected and powered simultaneously on AV1 and the S-Video side inputs, but I haven't encountered problems when using multiple connections.

Personally I like the picture better on Sky Digital than my mate's picture frame 32" Tosh - all that 100hz nastiness - gross! :D

later

dr_mabuse

course all this doesn't help you much though..... :rolleyes:

8. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol the 100hz isn't that bad on the Tosh... A lot better than other sets with no smearing and that. Its probably a tad too sharp for most though that are used to the warm look of 50Hz sets.If you want to look at something really digitally enhanced check out Pixel Plus...

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your mate is probably using more problematic settings (DNR, overly high contrast etc).

10. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. It has to be bad settings to be getting a bad picture on the picture frame sets.

11. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    It was a sharpness thing more than anything else - on Sky Sports coverage of Footie or Golf, the outlines of the players seemed to me to be "haloed" and unnatural, and not smooth like on my old clunker. My mate says that he hasn't had time yet to even play with the settings having only just returned from honeymoon.

I told him that was a p*** poor state of affairs and to sort his priorities out before it was too late!

dr_mabuse

12. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like picture mode 1 with DNR on.

Anyone using this mode, in the home, needs their eyesight tested or their room lighting sorted.