Quick resume seems worse than on Xbox One!

daymouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Starting to annoy me now that I’m only playing Valhalla and it’s random if it quick resumes or not!

Lunch time today started Valhalla up for a quick play then once finished paused the game and turned the console off. Later on after work booted Valhalla back up only to find it had gone back to the title screen. I hadn’t even booted anything up let alone 5-6 other games like we saw in the preview videos!

Can’t work out a pattern why sometimes it works and other not.

How is it for everyone else?

It can be intermittent for me. I switch between MCC, the Witcher 3 and Rocket League, and I'd say it works about 80% of the time. When it works it's fantastic, but I also can't work out any pattern to it.

Pretty sure quick resume is not enabled for Valhalla yet. It will auto resume if you use instant on but not if you power off fully.

For the games it's enabled for Valhalla not being one of them, it's brilliant, but there is far too many have it disabled. It's about time they got it sorted, PS5, with its quick load times, activity cards and better performance in a bunch of cross platform games, is looking like the best place to play.

I’m sure it’s popped up Quick Resume an Valhalla in the past. Is there somewhere you can see which games support it?

I've never had Quick Resume on Valhalla. It'll come, I'm sure. I've not spotted a list anywhere sadly. On titles that have it activated its a handful of seconds to get back in. I'm sure it'll be right soon enough.

I’ve found it works for me 90% of the time on AC Odyssey (don’t own Valhalla yet) works all the time on F1 2020 and Gears Tactics.

Doesn’t work at all on WRC 9.

OK so Valhalla was enabled on launch day but was having issues, I lossed a few hours on a saved game due to this corrupting it. It was disabled shortly after, so currently if you turn off the Xbox while your playing it and dont do anything else (including a fully power off) it will resume same as any other non quick resume game, but if you play anything at all it will shut down and you have to load it up again.

Valhalla popped up earlier with quick resume so something is going on for it to close

When I was playing Valhalla last night I noticed quick resume came up, first time I’ve noticed it on that game. It’s always popping up on Forza 7 and Halo MCC.

Seems they’ve turned QR on for Valhalla in the past 24 hours - there’s reports from users on Reddit. Should work now.

EDIT: Yes - takes 20 secs for me from another game to into AC:V now. Great stuff.

Last edited:
Sadly I listen to the Major Nelson podcast and they said it was re-enabled on Friday so it “should” work as expected now

Firstly they have turned on quick resume for Valhalla.

Secondly you are not using quick resume if you leave the game running and switch your console off. That’s just suspending the game and leaves it running in RAM. So prone to issue. Quick resume can ONLY be triggered by starting a new game whilst playing another one. So for example to put Valhalla in QR you are in the game and then you start another game. Let it start to load then quit it. Then turn off the console. When you load Valhalla next time it will have a brief splash screen say quick resume in the corner and you will in a few seconds load in absolutely where you were.

Quick resume dumps the game state onto the SSD. So it isn’t actually running the game. The only way to trigger it is to start another game whilst one is running. Nothing else will let you quick resume. Turning console off, quitting game etc nothing....

And to add that explains why quick resume didn't even exist on Xbox one. Suspend resume is NOT quick resume.

Also I think MS should add an option to the menu to place the current game into a QR state. It makes too much sense. That way I can just dump it and start again whenever I want. Rather than now having to start another game to trigger the QR data dump.

Last edited:
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom