• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Quick recommendation on a laptop purchase

JamieFitzsimons

Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a laptop for my Gran, it obviously only needs to be basic, but I want her to get the most out of it so.. I was looking to get an i3 so that she can get a decent performance while also futureproofing herself for a couple years.

Buy Samsung RV520-A07UK Laptop, Intel Core i3, 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB with 15.6" Display, Silver online at JohnLewis.com

The link above is what I'm looking at getting, it seems to be the best value for money on the JL website, in my personal opinion anyway.

If anyone else has time to have a look to see if there is anything that they'd recommend over the Samsung, then it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks! :smashin:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
it's a very good choice for the price and the fact you also have the complimentary 2 year John Lewis extended warranty is a bonus, I'd go for it :smashin:

my two pence :thumbsup:

JamieFitzsimons

Thanks for your input dc8900 - Looks like the website has clarified it's a fairly good purchase - Everytime it comes in to stock, they sell out within 24 hours :| The same laptop is 400-500+ everywhere else, and for some bizarre reason its 649 on comet! lol.

JamieFitzsimons

This would be a good time to mention I work for John Lewis, So the laptop would actually be around the £350 mark, so that's why I limited the company to JL :) And also to note, it's strange that they say it's a web only offer, because it's not. They have stock at the Distribution Centre, which means anyone can walk into a JL store and have one delivered to their home.

I have one reserved now, so going to go pick it up Friday :) Thanks very much for the help though, Irradiated. I appreciate you checking for similar specced cheaper options! :smashin:

maf1970

As an employee of JL you will probably have a little more flexibility than us ordinary public.

What I don't get is why would anyone wait 5 days for standard delivery or pay for faster service to their door when they can get next day pickup at their local store for nothing(so long as order placed before 7pm day before) ? (Assuming store is within a reasonable distance)

JamieFitzsimons

Yeah I got hold of it, they have been selling fast though, there was 240 when i checked last Saturday, when I went in yesterday there was less than 20 :|

Maf - Anyone could walk in and order one from the DC, usually smaller items such as laptops can be brought in the very next day via click and collect as you said. Again, as you said, it makes more sense to do click and collect, as even if you have it delivered, chances are you won't be home and you'll be making a trip to the post office anyway! Lol.

The only advantage of being an employee is being able to keep a close eye on stock levels across the board so that we don't miss out on the odd deal. Customers do come first in most cases though, especially clearance. We also aren't allowed to just reserve items for ourselves, staff members need to ask before making a reservation. :)

Last edited:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
I think it's because people honestly think having it delivered it's more convenient, obviously with larger white goods that is quite clearly the case (unless you own a van!) but seeing as most people work and might not have anyone at home to sign for it; click and collect sure is a god send! :thumbsup:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
i think the nearest jl is 90 miles away from me, delivery is deffo the better option in my case lol

Oh yes, completely forgot about that! unless of course the nearest branch is no where near you then yeah, delivery is a whole lot more convenient!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom