1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick questions on sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by fabio1605, Jul 12, 2004.

1. fabio1605

fabio1605

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a stereo marantz pm7200 amp... i was considering buying a sub to take away the strain on my stereo speakers so some quick questions

1.is a sub any good(is it in action a lot of the time) in stereo music..dance music etc and can it even be heard at all... as ive only ever heard subs in movie setup and cant really judge them for music

2.Does it do a good job of filtering out a lot of the bass from the speakers

3.Do the majority of subs have high level input..?

4.Can you recomend any sites that sell subs for 50-100 pound... my budget is low because im only wanting a sub to filter out sounds from my speakers (wharfdale 8.2+)

Any advice is greatful... even if its against what ive said... because at the end of the day i dont know much about subs so im asking for your help on spending my money wisely

thank you

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I'm afraid that a poor sub isn't worth having as it will ruin the sound that you get from your setup as all it will provide is a leaden, lumpy, bloated, distorted bass noise that some may find acceptable for explosions in a film but would stick out like a sore thumb when listening to music.

A decent sub is quite expensive to make and until recently it was impossible to buy anything suitable enough for music below £300 - £400 but the Mordaunt Short MS309 can be bought for £220 and that won't disgrace your system but is well over your budget.

In answer to your other questions, a good sub would be working quite a bit taking the strain off the main speakers and probably handling the lower bass better than your existing speakers but the effects would be less noticeable than in films as most music doesn't go as deep as in some of the blockbuster films. Many subs have high level connections but not all so take care that what you buy is suitable

3. Maurice

Maurice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but I intend to look at PMC FB1s for front speakers. These go down to 22Hz, so do I need a sub for 2-channel music ?
    Presumably, if the answer is no, then a sub with only low level input is OK ? or am I talking rubbish. :blush:

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Unless you listen to organ music you will probably not need a sub for two channel if your main speakers go that low.

Low level only connection will therefore be fine

5. fabio1605

fabio1605

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm... my speakers go down to 40hz but wen there driven that low they vibrate so much that i feel there gonna break...

these svs subs i hear everyone mentioning... are they good? where can i find these on the internet for price wise...

Ian j.. would i really benefit from a sub in stereo music wise

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If your speakers vibrate down at 40Hz you would benefit from a sub even for music as you would set the speakers to "small" in your amp so that signals under 80Hz would be fed to the sub relieving the strain on your main speakers.

SVS subs are possibly the best value for money subs bar none but they are fairly large and more to the point start at £500 which is ten times the budget that you expressed.

Are you sure that your speakers aren't faulty as they shouldn't be vibrating until they sound as if they are going to break anyway ?

7. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Having 40Hz speakers is not the same as owning a high performance subwoofer. My Mission 753Fs start to roll off at 40Hz. I use the largest SVS (16-46) and wouldn't be without it. I regularly use a remote control device on the gain (volume) of my sub. To check from the listening chair what is really happening to the music. With and without the subwoofer. Even on the simplest music, with no real bass, it always seems to improve the stereo sound quality.

But SVS subwoofers are not cheap! When you add in the cost of air freight, import tax of 4.5% and VAT on top of the purchase price and everything else inlcuding freight it all adds up.

SV Subwoofers only seem cheap in comparison with some other subwoofers. I think it is fair to say that SVS are bought for their performance regardless of price.(or appearance) They are also rather large in comparison with many other subwoofers. SVS claim that is why they work so well.

It's just nice to know that SV Subwoofers are cheaper than many more expensive subwoofers. Which don't perform nearly as well.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pci_16-46.htm

But it sounds as if your speakers are in need of replacement first. An SVS will never hide the sound of speakers that vibrate badly at 40Hz. The SVS only adds deep bass at lower frequencies than your speakers can already manage.

Nimby

8. fabio1605

fabio1605

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but is them vibrating so much have anything do with them being on loud or should they not vibrate much anyway...

i only wanted a small sub do u beleive the cheap subs are not worth it then

it could be faulty... my right speaker had to be sent back because and i quote from technical support"cone had become detached" now i dont know what that means weather its an indication its been blown up or that its a fault anyone know... if its not a sign that its blown up and is fault i may consider returning the other speaker too

9. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I have an Eltax Sub-10, got it for less than £100 and it is absolutely AWFUL with music. It isn't too bad with movies, but for music, I would steer clear from the sub £200 brigade.

The KEF PSW2500 sub I now have is MUCH better for music, and destroys the Eltax for ability, but then again, it does retail at £349, (I bought it for a bargain £239 :D), so it isn't a fair comparison.

Trust me, you are better off with no sub at all for music if you get anything less than a Mordaunt Short MS309