1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick question

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by scrapbook, Dec 21, 2002.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I currently own a 4:3 TV, but I am now looking for a w/s.

My brother has a top range widescreen sony 32 inch, but even when he watches DVD I was surprised to still see black border top and bottom.

I always anticipated the picture would fill the screen.

the reason I ask is that intially I was looking a 28inch TV's but am worried this will not be too small unless DVD's fill the screen.

Any comments/advice please?

2. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most movies are shot in 2.35:1 aspect ratio which is WIDER than a widescreen tv [1.78:1] - so you will still get bars top and bottom - but you are seeing it as the director intended. Some films are made in 1.85:1 aspect ratio [recently Spider-man for example and Monsters Inc.] and these will usually fill the tv screen [or very nearly depending on your setup].

3. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And to follow the post above. If you are mostly watching movies on DVD - then a larger set is probably preferable . It's usually a compromise between how big your room is, the price, and the increasing problems producing quality pictures the bigger the tube gets. 32 inch seems to have become the most popular option for many people - but for me anything bigger than a 28 inch set would just be too big for the room.

4. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    At the top of the forum you will find a link which takes you to FAQ , inside you will find many usefull tips and advice. :cool: