1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Question

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by kbj242, Oct 29, 2005.

1. kbj242

kbj242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I currently connect my Sony DVD to my Panasonic CRT via an S-Video > Scart lead (Vivanco).

The Sony DVD player is new however component isn't an option 'cos of the TV.

My Qu - would I get any improvement in DVD Pic Qual if I upgraded to a decent Scart - Scart ?? I'd be willing to spend £30-£50 if I could guarantee an improved picture.

Sound from the DVD goes to a seperate Amp (via optical) so there's no audio signal to carry.

Thanks in advance.

2. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kbj242, you could get a RGB only Scart to Scart cable if sound is not needed. It should give you a better picture than the s-video signal you are currently receiving. Take a look at supra's RGB and Fully Wired cables :thumbsup:

3. kbj242

kbj242

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks. Ideal. Out of interest - I also have freeviw box connected to the TV.
    This is connected Scart - Scart.
    Will an RGB Scart be beneficial in this case also ? (given that it carries audio as well as video) Or does RGB Scart carry video only ??
    My TV does have two RGB enabled scart sockets.

No more questions - honest.

4. Will Scarlet

Will Scarlet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +348
    All scarts have RGB, but there are RGB 'only' scarts available which are only wired for video and are supposed to give you better PQ as a result. They do not have the audio capabilities of your standard/fully wired scart. So what loadsofleads stated above applies to your freeview box as well. If the freeview box has separate audio outputs, and you can connect with these to your TV or AV receiver, then an RGB 'only' scart would probably be best in PQ terms. If not, then a decent standard/fully wired scart should still be an improvement over s-video.

5. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your freeview scart may already be able to carry RGB, but if it is connected to a scart socket which is not RGB compliant then you will not see any benefit, this would also apply if you bought a new one. If you want both your DVD and STB connected via RGB (which would be best) then I would recommend you daisy chain your STB through your DVD player and then connect your DVD player to your TV using your only RGB enabled scart socket.
    As for audio, if you want audio from your STB to your TV and you daisy chain as I suggested, both your scarts would need to be fully wired scarts.

:thumbsup: